Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Port Royal Sound: not as planned

If you check the YellowBrick you will find GANNET motionless anchored in Port Royal Sound.

I left the slip at 9:40 with nine knots of wind, but it weakened as I made my way along Skull Creek and died once I was in Port Royal Sound which was brutally hot.  I had to turn the outboard on for a minute to prevent the tide carrying us backwards into a red buoy.


A little wind returned, but the tide was now against us, and behind us a black line of clouds formed.  I heard thunder and expected strong gusts and heavy rain.  Just before it reached us I lowered the sails and anchored.  Good decision.  I saw gusts of 34 knots, ten or fifteen minutes of 30+.  That line is now south of us out over the ocean and left no wind behind.  The sun is coming out.  But I have checked Storm Radar and another line is due in an hour or two, so I am staying put and will see what tomorrow brings.

I’ll probably bring the Evo battery in tonight and charge it from the ship’s batteries.

1 comment:

Flick said...

I looked at today's track, and coupled with your Panama-to-San-Diego saga: good God, Webb! It appears you've outlived the wind!

Hope it goes well tomorrow.