Saturday, October 20, 2018

Skull Creek: docked


7:45 PM  My hands hurt.  Sailing is hard on hands.  With repeated exposure to salt water, skin and fingernails thicken.  And these hands have been in recent days used to pull against forces beyond their strength.  Strength is not the only way to solve problems and those other ways were found.

I have been tied to GANNET’s slip since noon.  Because I expected the wind to veer as predicted and did not want it to head us, I pushed hard last night and have  been awake since 1 AM. 

At dawn I was within a half mile of my intended destination of the outer buoys marking the entrance channel to Port Royal Sound, and sailed in under full main and partially furled jib to help the tiller pilot in 15-18 knot winds, gusting 20.  With the wind on and just forward of the beam, it was fine sailing.

I will leave the rest to the sail record.  Not passage log.  This wasn’t a passage.  I don’t count less than a thousand miles as a passage.  I don’t know what this was, but it was difficult and a learning experience for me.  I am glad to have sailed it.  I truly had nothing better to do, other than be with Carol.  I am trying to use myself up, but I will not ever sail a hundred miles from the open ocean again or, I think, along this coast.

I am through for the year.  I find zooming in on the Yellowbrick tracks going north and south to be illuminating.  North I sailed 604 miles.  South 609.  With the sail from Marathon to Hilton Head Island in January of 476 miles, GANNET and I sailed 1689 miles this year.  Far less than most years, and 2018 is the first year I have spent entirely within the United States since 2013.

Surprisingly, and pleasingly, one Raymarine tiller pilot steered the entire distance, north and south.

I partially sorted the little boat out this afternoon and will complete the process tomorrow.

I will be on board for another week or so to prepare GANNET for the continuation of her circumnavigation in January.

I just finished the last of a bottle of Laphroaig given to me by John, a fellow sailor.  I appreciate the gift.  I believe I earned the sips and that they will help induce needed sleep.  Yet I am oddly still wakeful.

The photo is of a sunset along the way.  I don’t remember where.