Monday, December 27, 2021

Hilton Head Island: eagles; two poems; reader; shorts; shadowed



I have not seen bald eagles around Hilton Head and only yesterday learned of an eagle-cam at a nest somewhere on the island.  Since then two eaglets have hatched.  I saw the mother feeding the first this morning, tearing off strips of flesh from some creature either she or her mate had caught and brought to the nest.  When I last looked a few minutes ago, only one of the parents was visible sitting on the nest with the eaglets presumably beneath her.  

https://www.hhilandtrust.org/eagle-cam



From THE PENGUIN BOOK OF JAPANESE VERSE an anonymous poem dating from around a thousand years ago with a sentiment eternal to some.



And from the BEING ALIVE anthology a contemporary poem, Black Moon by Matthew Sweeney, that I like and not just because the artist drinks Laphroaig.





While I was sitting on the screened porch yesterday afternoon reading Carol took the top photo.



The warm weather continues.  We had our sunset drinks on the deck last evening and today I switched from Levis to shorts.  


I went down to GANNET this morning around 11 am, hoping to paint the non non-skid parts of the deck.  Although the temperature is in the 70s, the expletive deleted ferry boat was still blocking the sun from reaching GANNET and the deck was still wet with dew.  I  re-glued the track that secures the forward edge of the companionway spray hood and then gave up.  I will try again one afternoon around 1 pm.  







No comments: