Friday, December 17, 2021

Hilton Head Island: interruption; RAN; correction


 

The company that hosts my main site is migrating to new servers so the site will not be accessible from about 3 pm EST tomorrow until about 6 a.m Sunday morning.  I know how acutely you will feel this loss, but perhaps you can just read old journal posts instead.  The journal will not be affected.


Last evening I rewatched Akira Kurosawa’s 1985 RAN, his Japanese version of Shakespeare’s KING LEAR with some overtones of MACBETH.  I first saw it many years ago, probably about the time it was first released.  Many consider it among the greatest movies ever made.  It is epic, dramatic, and visually arresting.  I enjoyed it.

I have read KING LEAR three or four times.  I believe I have written this before in this journal, but I have my own interpretation of King Lear.  Generally he is just considered mad, but madness is a condition, not a tragedy.  My reading of the play is that as it opens King Lear is mad and all powerful and as the play unfolds he becomes progressively less mad and less powerful, until at the end he is completely sane and completely helpless.  That is the tragedy.



In listening and viewing The Golden Record’s contents in the YouTube video I realized that there are two pieces by Beethoven.  I had said that no one except Bach has more than one.  I also rewrote a few other sentences in that entry.


I have twice this week engaged in a traditional sailor’s task:  chipping paint.  Mine that on deck between the Raptor nonskid pads in preparation for repainting those areas.  



The photo above has nothing to do with any of this.  It was taken some years ago from THE HAWKE OF TUONELA on her mooring in New Zealand’s Bay of Islands.  I just like it.

No comments: