Thursday, February 15, 2024

Hilton Head Island: Webb Chiles by the numbers

 


Steve Earley wrote most of this entry as well as took the above photo Tuesday evening while we were sipping drinks on the screened porch. 

Six years ago for reasons no longer of importance, Steve compiled a list of Webb Chiles by the numbers.  I did not know this until he recently mentioned it to me and then showed me the list.  I found it interesting and amusing and asked permission to share it with you, which Steve graciously granted.  I thank him.

I updated some numbers, such as my age and circumnavigations, and added a couple more, but it is Steve’s list from most to least.  

If you think of other numbers that ought to be included, please suggest them in a comment.


Webb Chiles by the numbers

1,000,000+ published words:  books, website, journal, magazine and newspaper articles, short stories, novella, poems


3,000 miles first leg of open boat voyage


1,500 gallons of water bailed every twenty-four hours from EGREGIOUS during the weeks before reaching New Zealand


82 years old


57 years since bought first boat


50 years since last worked for anyone else


30 years married to Carol


26 hours swimming and floating in the Gulf Stream after sinking RESURGAM


18 feet length of CHIDIOCK TICHBORNE 


16 days imprisoned in Saudi Arabia as a spy


15 times crossed the Equator


10 years alone at sea


10 words in most famous quote


8 boats owned


8 times in Force 12 wind


6 circumnavigations


6 times married


5 consecutive decades in which a circumnavigation has been completed


5 women married


4 boats whose mastheads have gone in the water


3 compasses on CHIDIOCK TICHBORNE, two of which went into the inflatable after she pitch-poled.


3 five year plans.  


2 times adrift with survival in question.  


1 life  

10 comments:

Doug R said...

Good list. I should think the number of days imprisoned in the Middle East during the open boat voyage would be a most worthy addition. Not an experience shared with many sailors. Doug Radabaugh

Webb said...

Good suggestion. Added.

Sean Kelley said...

1st American to sail solo around Cape Horn

Webb said...

That is a first, Sean, but I think not consistent with this list of numbers.

Webb said...

I am sipping a Negroni on the deck of a lovely evening. 64F. Sun lowering over Skull Creek and Pickney Island. Slight breeze. And I just thought of a number which I have added to this list. 8 times in Force 12 winds. If you do not know Force 12 is hurricane force.

Anonymous said...

Delightful numbers, but the living of the life (to date) is the true reward.
Cheers!
Wishing you my best!

Sorry, I can only post as anonymous.
Ants Uiga
Bodfish, CA

Rockkand said...

Great photo.

Webb said...

I agree, Rockland. Steve was a professional newspaper photographer and takes great photos.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps an entry re surviving for hours( > 24?)in the Florida Straits after having to abandon a sinking craft?

Webb said...

Thank you for the suggestion. I think that is referenced in the 2 times adrift with survival in question, but I will include it.