Thursday, February 1, 2024

Hilton Head Island: some poems and SOCIETY OF THE SNOW

 


As regular readers know I read some poetry, Japanese or Chinese and Western, and I listen to some Bach everyday.  Generally when I finish whatever book of poetry I am reading I scroll down in my library which is arranged by most recent on my iPad mini and start rereading whichever I last read longest ago.  However, from time to time I go to Amazon to see if there is something new and recently bought a beautiful book, ONE HUNDRED LEAVES, which is a recent translation of the HYAKUNIN ISSHU, a collection of one hundred poems compiled about 1237 by Fujiwara no Teika.  I find the book beautiful because each poem is preceded by an artwork, one of which is above.  Here is the poem:


While I read using the Kindle app, I do so on an iPad mini because it has a color screen and also serves as a chartplotter.  ONE HUNDRED LEAVES would not be as beautiful in black and while on a Kindle.

Here are two more poems from ONE HUNDRED LEAVES.



I am presently only at poem twenty-five.  I limit myself to five a day.  So you may see more in the future.


From the previous book of Japanese poetry I was reading, THE CLASSIC TRADITION OF HAIKU, the first by Masaoka Shiki, 1867-1902; the second by Arakida Moritake, 1472-1549.




Compare the last with:

                                           

whose author you know.



Last evening I watched on Netflix, SOCIETY OF THE SNOW, which is the true story of those who survived a plane crash in the Andes for seventy-two days in part by reasonably resorting to cannibalism of the frozen bodies of those who died.  There have been other movies and books about this.  I think this one is very well done, honest without being sensational.  If you watch, continue through the closing credits behind which are shown photographs of the actual survivors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_the_Snow












No comments: