Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Hilton Head Island: breakfast; two more poems from ONE HUNDRED LEAVES; and an aarticle

 


I was recently asked how I have managed to provision without refrigeration.  As long time readers know part of the answer is above:  my breakfast at sea and ashore and by far my biggest meal of the day.

A few years ago I downloaded an app and kept track of the calories I consumed, both food and drink.  Here is the outdated summary of my breakfast.



The ingredients are still about the same, but the portions are now smaller.  That is a trend I have noticed.  Without planning to, over the past few years I am eating and drinking less.

I now have about 3 ounces of juice.  I have ½ cup of uncooked oatmeal, not the ¾ cup shown above.  I have about twenty blueberries, a half dozen raspberries and four or five blackberries, which reduces the calories in my bowl from 764 to about 685 and the grams of protein from 40 to about 37.

Most of that protein comes from the scoop of Vital Whey protein powder.  The scoop comes in the package of powder and holds 20 grams or about .7 of an ounce.  I buy Vital Whey from Amazon.  It is more expensive than some whey powders, but I like it because the version they call Natural has no flavor.

The picture is of my breakfast this morning as it has been for decades almost every morning on land or sea.  At sea the fruit and milk are dried.

Ashore I no longer eat much of a lunch.  Often just some fruit and maybe a piece of toast.  When I am here alone, dinner is whatever I can microwave.  When Carol is here she cooks and she is an exceptionally inventive and good cook.

At sea lunch has been a can of fish or chicken or Laughing Cow cheese, all with crackers, and dinner is a freeze dry meal.

I also have snacks, RX protein bars, chips, cookies, peanuts, chocolate, etc.

Of drinking there appears to be good science that proves you can handle alcohol less well as you get old.  This has been my experience.  Some of you may remember that a year or so ago I instituted the two glass per evening rule.  I usually stick to it.  And again without planning, two nights a week, usually Tuesday and Wednesday, have become ‘dry’ nights.  Dry meaning no alcohol.  This came about by my starting to drink 0% Heineken for my mid-afternoon liquid while sailing.  I am not a big beer drinker and was drinking regular Heineken for the liquid not the alcohol.  I find I like the 0% as much as regular, so have kept it on hand and one Tuesday I was reheating leftover pizza and decided to have a 0 Heineken with it.  This became a habit.  Tuesday 0 Heineken.  Wednesday a tonic with lime.  I cannot say that I notice any real difference in how I feel, but it is probably a good thing to do and certainly does no harm.

So some evenings L’Chaim is said with more feeling than others.




I am halfway through ONE HUNDRED LEAVES.  Here are two more poems I particularly like.  I will be sorry when the book ends and will surely, given time, read it again and again..

The above illustrates the first poem.

Both poets lived about the year 1000.








I am told that the only article I wrote for paid publication last year is in the current issue of SAIL.  I believe under the title ‘Destination Nowhere.’  I have not seen it in print.  A month or so from now I will upload it here.





No comments: