Thursday, February 22, 2024

Hilton Head Island: power boat

I powered away from the dock yesterday.  I powered back to the dock this morning.  In between I set the sails in a forlorn hope of wind.  It was a gesture.  There was none.  So I anchored a mile from land in Port Royal Sound, reorganized some things in the interior, sipped a glass of cabernet sauvignon and one of Laphroaig in the cockpit, while listening to music.  Had an excellent freeze dry dinner of Alpine Aire’s Creamy beef with noddles and mushrooms, and slept well.

This morning numerous odd glitches occurred, among them that I had no cell phone coverage, which I learned after returning to the condo and reading the news happened to many.  The Raymarine tiller pilot I used yesterday, this morning failed to respond to the port side buttons.  I went below and brought up another.  It did not respond at all.  A third didn’t either.  I brought up the Pelagic and it didn’t work either, though later at the dock it did.  There were more which I forget, although I do remember that as I was approaching our slip I did not see the orange ring I have around the piling at one side of the slip.  After I docked I found it stuck below the water.  I could not reach it with my boat hook.  I think it is stuck on barnacles.

Despite all this I enjoyed being on the water, which is even better than living next to it as we do, and living in that little space which so suits me.

Strangely, considering that GANNET only deviated from being level and rock steady on a couple of power boat wakes, I am still feeling her motion after five hours ashore.  I don’t know how it is possible to feel motion that never existed, but I do.

I am presently sipping a Webb and have a Netherland’s Bach Society video on the TV of Bach’s French Suite Number 1 in D minor.

L’Chaim.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In some cases we are all bearers of disasters large and small. Cheers, Me

Webb said...

I confess that I don’t understand this one.