Saturday, October 1, 2022

Hilton Head Island: the morning after


 

I moved the furniture back onto the deck and porch and had breakfast this morning on the deck.  Sunny, slight breeze.  70F/21C.  Lovely.

According to the television news the maximum gust on Hilton Head island was 52 mph/45 knots and we received only 1.1"/2.8cm of rain.  

Ian made landfall about 150 miles/240 kilometers from Hilton Head.  Until the final 36 hours it was forecast to make landfall here.

I also emptied the water jerry cans.  I will leave them up here.  I don't need four on GANNET unless I go offshore.

While emptying them I was curious how far ten gallons of water would fill the bathtub and so closed the drain.  The answer is to a depth of 4" at the deepest part of the tub.  The tub at that end is 14" high.  Of course I would not fill it to the brim, but it would easily hold 25 to 30 gallons of water which would last me more than two months, without counting what the washing machine and jerry cans would hold.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad it didn’t hit HH directly and that you are OK!

Webb said...

Thank you for the thought.

I believe that even if Hilton Head had taken a direct hit, I would have been OK. I have been in storms at sea of Ian's strength off Hilton Head--not its strength when it went ashore in Florida--at least eight times. I believe that GANNET and I given sea room would have survived it in the ocean.

Living on this island is a partially calculated risk. No one in this time of climate change can make an accurate calculation of the risk.

Today here was one of great beauty that I enjoyed.

I would rather live in New Zealand's Bay of Islands, but can't. I accept the compromise of being here as second best and the risk.