Friday, October 7, 2022

Hilton Head Island: tracked; hourly rate; splattered; symmetry


As you can see the the new track is in place.  Getting it to follow the curve of the hull was slightly complicated.  I placed it exactly where the old track was located which was obvious after it was removed.  I even think I succeeded in not drilling any holes all the way through the hull.  Actually the hull has a thick balsa core there and it is quite easy to feel when the drill bit breaks through the inner layer of fiberglass into the core.

Kent who has been following my efforts observed:  

It's not allowed for someone to work on a boat without a non-working observer interrupting the work to ask 1000 questions, or a Ramp Commander telling you that you are doing it wrong.

My brother was a mechanic, his labor rates back in the day:

Labor Cost:

$10/hr

$20 if you watch

$40 if you help



Being able to get to GANNET in five minutes biking or ten minutes walking makes working on her so easy.  I've been down every morning this week.  This morning I was greeted by this:


Good that I was not sleeping on board last night with the hatch open.

I like birds, but...

It did wash off.



I decided I like the poem in the last entry enough to upload it to the poems page on the main site.  I can always remove it if I change my mind.

poems.html

While on that page I counted the poems.  This one makes twenty-five.  I've written a good many more that I've discarded.  Seven or eight are about women.  That seems about the right proportion.  Now the first and last, separated by almost sixty years, are.

                                       for years he drowned

                                       the voyage in his mind

                                       and wore the women

                                       like clothes of water


                                                                 1966



1 comment:

Flick said...

Re: Splattered
My two most awkward encounters with bird-product include:
-- in South Africa, shortly after being served a Dutch beer (which my host was proud to share) we were startled by some bird's precise high-level bomb run as a blob of gooey white plopped in the center of my glass and began diffusing through its contents. (I'm glad we noticed!)
-- getting out of my car at the marina and planning to go sailing, I'd just unlatched my door, and turned to the passenger seat to grab a few things. Some diarrhea-afflicted flying elephant (probably a great blue heron) dropped a soggy mass on the roof of my car, just above the driver's seat. Its impressive bulk splattered toward the left, sloppily painting the SUV in the adjacent parking spot. If I'd not delayed my exit for the few seconds it had taken for impact, I'd have been most thoroughly plastered. Close call!