Thursday, September 16, 2021

Hilton Head Island: last night; 156 years; more than a month


Above is my view from last night and is my view now.  

We arrived not long before sunset yesterday and had drinks and cheese and crackers by the bedroom window.  All is well with the condo and I assume with GANNET.  I can see the top of her mast but imminent rain is preventing me from going down.  Hopefully I will later this afternoon.  It is completely quiet and lovely to be looking out at live oaks, Spanish moss, spartina, the marina and Skull Creek again.




This sign is about thirty miles from our condo beside South Carolina State Highway 462.  We have seen it before and yesterday I took the photo.  As you can see the sign is in good repair.  The wavy line in the photo is a reflection on the car windshield.

General Sherman’s March to the Sea took place in November and December 1864.  He occupied Savannah on December 21, 1864, after the Confederate General William J. Hardee decided the city could not be defended and moved his troops across the Savannah River into South Carolina the day before.  In January of 1865 Sherman pursued him.  That was 156 years ago.



This morning Carol and I went grocery and liquor shopping.  In addition to what we would normally buy, I got enough oatmeal, powdered milk, crackers, cans of chicken and of fish, for breakfasts and lunches for more than a month.  I just ordered a supply of trail mix from Amazon and will order more freeze dry dinners after I inventory what is presently on GANNET.  I am already sufficiently provisioned to live without outside assisatance in case of a major hurricane for more than a month.  Soon I will be prepared for more than two.  If as I hope no such storm occurs, the food, none of which is perishable, will be used on future voyages.



2 comments:

Ernie said...

Now that you are back in South Carolina you might read (or in your case, maybe re-read) Mary Chesnutt's civil war diary.

And, now sufficiently provisioned for inputs but not asea, you might think through the outputs. I don't know if your condo rules allow the methods laid out in my 1950s-era boy scout handbook. Matthew cut off water and sewer service to much of the island.

Webb said...

Already considered.