Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Hilton Head Island: nomad

Earlier today I had an email that led to confusion.  In part of the interchange, the other person wrote that he felt privileged to converse with a celebrity/legend.

I replied:

 I am not a celebrity.   I am now in old age routinely called a legend in a very small world.

I am alone.  I always have been, despite the women in my life.  I write that with minimal regret.  It has become my natural state.  The minimal is that I sometimes wonder what I would have been if I had had useful parents.   I believe I am an original and I have understood from the beginning that almost all original experiments are failures and think I may have written that in STORM PASSAGE.  

If you read the September 27 journal entry you will find Kant, Bach, Glenn Gould, Mahler, Mozart, Camoes, all from memory and from a body that has made voyages no one else ever made or ever even imaged.  And is trying to figure out what he/it ought still to do.

I don’t know for whom I write.  The numbers are few.  Too many zeros right of the decimal point even to consider.  I suppose I write because I am a writer.

In any event I try to bridge the gap between myself and others and feared I had responded too abruptly to you earlier.

While writing this I have been listening to the soundtrack of the movie NOMADLAND which Carol watched on her return flight from a business trip to California and recommended to me.  I rented it from Amazon and watched earlier today.  While grim, it is superbly acted, directed and filmed.  Carol thinks the words about some people being nomads applies to me.   I have never thought of myself that way.

I wish you well and hope I make it for another six weeks and join you as an octogenarian because that will be one of the greatest cosmic jokes ever.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Webb,
You may not be a celebrity, but you have been an inspiration to me, as a sailor, as a writer and as "an original".
I also enjoyed NOMADLAND. I realized after watching it that I, too, am some sort of nomad. My connections to places and people are deep and sincere, but I also accept the Law of Impermanence, that everything is always changing, that I will exist for less than a blink of an eye and that that gift is not to be wasted.
As you approach 80, may you be healthy, happy, wholehearted and live in peace. And I believe you have more hopes to be realized and will enjoy reading about them.
Our paths nearly crossed at Skull Creek last year. My boat was probably within a few hundred yards of Gannet. I didn't realize this until too late and I left without paying homage. Oh well. Next time around!
Best Wishes,
Steve
s/v Intermezzo
blog.sailingintermezzo.com

Solosailor said...

Reflecting what Steve writes, your log is the one and only running journal I follow on a regular basis. Checking in with some frequency let's me imagine that I could be your friend, and for that I will remain ever grateful. Thank you.

Webb said...

Thank you for the kind words, Steve. If GANNET and I are in Hilton Head when you next pass through I will give you the grand tour of the little boat. That takes about a minute.

Webb said...

I consider all who stay with me on this voyage to be kindred spirts and friends.