Friday, July 16, 2021

Hilton Head Island: sunny with waterspouts; inexperience

Another sunny day with a chance of waterspouts.  We live on the right side of the island.  There are none in sight on Skull Creek.  



I woke early yesterday morning and biked down to GANNET before 7 am intending to do some work before it got too hot, but I was already too late.

I installed the mounts for the Raymarine wind display.  One in the cabin; one in the cockpit.  This required nothing more strenuous than screwing in three small screws for each.  I didn’t even need to drill holes because I could see where I had filled the screw holes from the previous mounts.  Nevertheless by the time I had taken the few minutes needed to do this, sweat was blinding me.

I sponged a little water out of the bilge.

I went up on deck and tried to remove the torn non-stick pads and learned that Raptor uses strong adhesives and this is not going to be easy.

And I got on my bike and rode back to air conditioning.

My GANNET to do list:

New wind instruments (obtained but not yet installed)

New Windex  (obtained but not yet installed)

Two new snatch blocks  (ordered)

Sand and oil or paint interior wood  (battery sander and sand paper discs obtained)

Replace non-skid torn by Panama rigger  (sheet of Raptor non-skid obtained)

Solve slipping main halyard

Re-bed forward hatch  (Butyl tape obtained)


All work to be deferred until at least mid-September.



As noted here before each issue of the BBC MUSIC MAGAZINE costs me money.  This month it caused me to buy an excellent recording of Bartok’s First and Second Violin Concertos performed by Christian Tetzlaff and the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Also in that issue an article about Camille Saint-Saens quotes Hector Berlioz, who was serving on the jury for the Prix de Rome, which Saint-Saenz did not win reportedly because he was already too famous, as saying of Saint-Saens, “He already knows everything, but he lacks inexperience.”



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Multi-tool , oscillating type , fitted with a scraper makes removal of glued items super easy

Webb said...

Thank you for that good suggestion. I have checked and there are battery operated oscillating multi-tools. I have only three pieces to remove and will in September make another attempt manually. If that is unsuccessful, I’ll buy an oscillating multi-tool.