Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Hilton Head Island: Elsa; persistence


While the details continue to change, the 2 AM Thursday position of Tropical Storm Elsa in the above is directly over me.  I do not expect much other than some rain.

Here is a projection from the Windy app which shows clearly the difference in this hemisphere in being on the west and east sides of the center.  The most recent forecast for Hilton Head is for no more than 20 knots of wind.  Offshore to the east there might be 40-50 knots.




I’ve biked down to GANNET each of the past two mornings to do some minor work.  Yesterday I opened the dock box cautiously.  A single irritated wasp flew out and away.  Today again a single wasp flew out and away.  I do not know if it was the same wasp or if the swarm assigns different ones to guard duty.  I admire their persistence, but it may be unwise.  Wasp spray has been ordered.


Other persistence, my own, may also be unwise, but I have ordered new wind instruments.  Again.  And again.  And again.  

After considering all the possibilities I ordered the same Raymarine system I had before.  I decided against OpenWind because they have no service facilities in the US and because checking wind direction and speed on an iPhone while underway is less convenient than looking at a fixed display.  I also ordered a new Windex to replace the one presently at the masthead whose base is broken.  I have no idea how many Windexs and electronic mast head transducers I have gone through.

The new equipment will be delivered this week.  When I will be able to get it installed I do not know.  If you are wondering, my vision is simply not good enough or I would go up and do it myself. 


1 comment:

johnz said...

Most of us would consider whipping our mastheads in the sea as a traumatic event. Seems to be a common occurrence on your visits to the edge. Thank you for your part in keeping the Windex business thriving.