Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Hilton Head Island: Channel Fever; a hint


I am sitting in my favorite chair near the bedroom window, sipping chardonnay and listening to Schubert’s “Death and the Maiden” on new Sonos One SL speakers.  I bought a pair for the living room and like them so much I bought two more for the bedroom.   These are the least expensive Sonos speakers and differ from the Ones by having no voice control.  I have no desire to talk to speakers.  They are small, unobtrusive, and sound good to my old defective ears. Perhaps the very best thing about them is that the setup is easy and flawless.  Sonos has got this.  I thank them.



Yesterday I received an email from Roger, an experienced cyclist, who puts Lachlan Morton’s achievement in clearer perspective.  Here it is and my reply.


Webb,

I'm an old cyclist, and am somewhat familiar with endurance, long distance cycling. I have never, and will never even dream of doing what this guy has done, with 360 miles in 18 hours, but I will say that in 24 hour contests to see how far a rider can go, I have never seen anyone even come close to this mileage. 

You have congratulated him, and I do also, but this accomplisment may never be bettered.

Roger


Hello, Roger,

I of course have no personal experience on which to judge his ride, but am in awe of the numbers and appreciate your comments based on what you know better than I.   I will pass them on in the journal.

I have a sense that he was as a cyclist feeling what sailors in the past called Channel Fever.  At the end of a long voyage as they entered the English Channel they wanted it to be over and pressed hard.  I have done that myself on passages, being content in the middle, but pushing for it to be over at the end.  

I believe Lachlan has achieved a greater accomplishment than winning the Tour, but then I am perhaps biased toward the individual rather than the team.

Webb 



I sometimes talk to myself in this journal, putting tentative thoughts into words in an attempt to clarify them.  Doing so publicly may or may not be wise, but I am a writer.

I did not mean to tease about the passage I might make next summer, but I also do not like people who talk about what they might do.  I prefer those who report after they have done.  Nevertheless having mentioned a possibility, I want to clarity.  


It is too hot on Hilton Head Island in July and August.  It is not too hot in Iceland.  I have sailed in those temperatures.  Perhaps I still can.  I am not totally committed.  I was totally committed to all my previous voyages and I am not certain one can make a difficult passage without such commitment.  But that is what I am considering.

We will see what does or does not happen.

1 comment:

Shawn Stanley said...

Webb,
I am a fan of Sonos also. I bought the older Playbar and the sub a couple years ago, and recently added the Sonos Ones (also the non-Alexa style no-microphones) as surround speakers.
They are not cheap, but I have spent many hours in a past life running surround wires, and left and right channel wires, and these solve that problem. +1 on the Sonos. Sometimes technology has its place in our lives.

-Shawn
Solomons, MD