Monday, August 8, 2022

Lake Forest: prescient; the hurricane season


Tim, the violin playing marathon runner, likes to read old newspapers online.  I thank him for the above written by a clever Kiwi.  Note the date.  The author’s only error was timing.  It did not take centuries.  The world population in 1910 was about 1.75 billion.  There are four times that many of us cluttering up the planet now.



I thank Jack for sending me a link to an article, ‘What’s Wrong With the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season?’  The answer is nothing.  90% of storms occur after August 1.  I knew that.  I expect you did too.  But it is starting.  Each morning I check the National Hurricane Center site.  During July I consistently found “No activity is expected in the next 48 hours.’  This morning:


Here is this morning’s Earth Wind Map.  Notice how far north of the Equator the tropical convergence zone is in both oceans.  I still prefer to call it the doldrums.  The trades that carry storms west are clearly defined.



While the Atlantic has been quiet, the eastern Pacific has not.  There has been an almost constant stream of storms forming just off the coast of Central America and moving northwest into uninhabited regions of the ocean where they have dissipated largely unnoticed.  There is one there now.













No comments: