Saturday, August 20, 2022

Lake Forest: why I have no interest in the round the world races; and a drowned cat

In Sailing Anarchy this morning I read a piece by Ronnie Simpson who has been offered a 50’ boat to sail in one of the now plethora of round the world races.  He writes:

Three days after … reaching terra firma, I’ve got an LLC being formed, a web developer hired, a sailing crew hired, a media guy and some plane tickets to Maine. I’ve cobbled together some used TP52 kites to supplement our downwind inventory and pulled the trigger on a couple of final preparation projects at the yard. 

We are already aligned with the Veteran’s sailing non-profit US Patriot Sailing and have a tax-deductible means of accepting campaign contributions. I started a GoFund Me account to raise some seed money and we have raised more than $13,000 in less than a day. Not bad for a few days of work. We have a boat, a fundraising and sailing team apparatus taking shape and a bit of cash to get off the dock.

I want to make it clear that I am not criticizing Ronnie, whom I know and like.  He has long wanted to be part of that scene and all the things he has done are I conclude standard in it.  I hope the experience fulfills his expectations.  But that is why I don’t follow the round the world races:  they are about money and business.  They most definitely, despite the hype by the hired PR people, not about one man against the sea.  I didn’t even know you need an LLC, a web developer, a sailing crew, a media guy, be aligned with a non-profit, and a GoFund Me to go to sea.  Obviously I’ve been doing it wrong all these decades.  I must be an anachronism.  I almost wrote ‘an old anachronism’, but that is probably redundant.



From an early edition of THE OXFORD BOOK OF ENGLISH VERSE a poem by Thomas Grey I like with a famous last line.






2 comments:

Ken said...

Man, I bet there are a lot of domestic violence shelters that could use the help of a person who can raise $13000 in donations with just a couple of days work.

Ken in Perth

teddo said...

Great poem, so relevant, so admirable, formidable you recalled it, then found it to share, thanks. Yes our sport traverses peculiar waters.