Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Hilton Head Island: sailed

 Nearing sunset.  I am sitting by our bedroom window.  High tide.  I look down at Skull Creek which is not far away.  It is completely quiet here.  Not a sound.  The Spanish moss is weaving slightly and silently.

I did go sailing yesterday, anchored overnight on Port Royal Sound, and sailed back today.  

I pushed GANNET out of her slip around 10 am yesterday and Torqeedoed very slowly out Skull Creek.  The Torqeedo was not functioning normally.  It had little power even at full throttle.  We were powering against an incoming tide and GANNET’s bottom may be more fouled than I believe.  The battery level dropped below 30% before we reached the sound.  I changed to the second battery underway.

I had the mainsail up but it was decoration.  There was only two or three knots of wind and out on the sound that vanished.  Unwilling to drift with the tide, I anchored in 30’ of water at noon.  An hour later sitting at Central I felt wind coming through the open companionway hatch behind me, got up, raised anchor and sails and tacked down the sound against a south wind that grew to eight knots.  Our speed was mostly three knots.  Occasionally we reached four.  Again against tide.

I anchored in the middle of the sound about 3:30.  Between then and 5 when I was on deck having my evening drink, two boats, one sail, one power, came by to ask if I needed assistance. Kind of them and good seamanship.  They must have wondered why anyone would willingly anchor a small boat in the middle of the sound.  In my experience GANNET is the only boat to do so.

I enjoyed sitting on deck sipping tequila and listening to music at sunset, being on the water instead of looking at it.

I found that I had about thirty freeze dry meals on GANNET.  I choose Leonardo da Fettuccini. 

I also found that I did not have a pillow on the boat.  Well, not a real pillow.  I had taken it up to the condo to wash and left it there.  I did have an inflatable pillow.  Actually two, which I use to cushion sharp edges when sitting at Central and GANNET is heeled.  I inflated one and found it quiet satisfactory.  

Wind blew all night creating chop that keep GANNET in constant motion.  A motion that I am still feeling.

I had charged the newer Torqeedo battery overnight.  In the morning it was at 96%, so I put it back on the Torqeedo, though with an east wind of 15 knots, gusting 18, I did not expect to have to use it for long.

I was anchored in 45’ of water with 120’ of rode out.  While it is undoubtedly better to anchor with all chain, GANNET cannot carry that weight, so my rode is 20’ of ¼” chain and 220’ of ½ branded nylon.  ½” is stronger than GANNET needs.  I use the larger diameter in an attempt to guard against chaff. 

One of the advantages of a mostly line rode is that I do not hesitate to put out more.  However I wondered if I would have trouble pulling the rode in this morning.  I was aided by the tide which partly neutralized the wind.  The anchor came up clean and I got it stowed below deck and the furling jib set.

On a beam to broad reach we sailed at 4 to 5 knots under the little jib, having to gybe once in Skull Creek.  I furled the jib a couple of hundred yards off the marina and started the Torqeedo which seemed more its normal self.

We were back in the slip at noon.

We didn’t sail far or long.  Only about three hours each day.  But it was good to put gear in motion.  My new Spinlock halyard clutch appears to prevent slippage better than the old Lewmar clutch did.

I found I need new solar camping lights and have ordered some today.

I will have a diver clean GANNET’s bottom.  I have yet to decide where I will haul out to antifoul.

When I know GANNET has a clean bottom I will test the Torqeedo again.  If she needs repairs, that will present difficulties.

In addition to still feeling GANNET’s motion, I am more tired and stiff than I would have expected after so short a time on the water.  It is possible that I really am 80.

5 comments:

Flick said...

It's good to get out, for however long. Tomorrow I'm to have partly cloudy and wind in the mid teens -- I should be able to make some wake!

Conchscooter said...

I thought about you out there and had a twinge of envy. But there again not feeling the motion of the land…maybe I’m all right!

ZMK said...

Check out E-propulsion. Torqeedo no longer have the electric outboard market to themselves. You can find reviews online and Youtube, though I have no firsthand experience of them myself.
https://www.epropulsion.com/

Webb said...

E-Propulsion is a good suggestion. I know of them and am giving them serious consideration. I believe they have some advantages over Torqeedo. The primary one is greater range, achieved by having a battery twice as heavy as Torqeedo. 20 pounds versus 10. And with the Evo model being able to generate power to recharge with the prop in the water while under sail. This last will come at the price of noise, which I don’t like, but could be useful in limited situations.

teddo said...

GlAd you found a pillow me Chiles!

Am sure to get into trouble, but your anchor rig is to stop the boat, not lift it! Sounds like it works.

Cheers,
T