Monday, March 7, 2022

Lake Forest: a new video




 

We are back in Lake Forest after a weekend in St. Louis.  Actually we stayed at the Ritz Carlton in a suburb, Clayton.  The hotel room was free with Carol’s business travel earned Marriott points.  Our ‘free’ room ended up costing us a little over $160 a night in parking, food and liquor. The food was good.  The wine was good.  I also had a glass of Laphroaig which of course was good.  The martinis were not good.  Far too weak.  I know better than to order cocktails in a restaurant.

On Saturday Carol drove us the short distance to Kirkwood, the suburb in which I grew up, and then to downtown St. Louis and then to Forest Park.  I shot videos at four locations that had significance in my childhood and have spliced them together under the title Beginnings 1.  They can be seen at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg2wOtKmrh4

As I wrote in the description of the video I have mixed feelings about it.  

Yesterday Carol drove us back to what we call the factory housing.

Not far north of St. Louis the landscape becomes one of endless flat farms until three hundred miles later you reach the distant outskirts of Chicago.  The high point of the drive was stopping at Wally’s in Pontiac, Illinois.  If Wally’s isn’t the biggest gas station in the world, it must be close.  76 pumps outside a Walmart size building inside which you can buy an almost infinite number of things you don’t need and an equally infinite variety of food.  We bought two very good BBQ beef sandwiches which we ate in the enormous parking lot before rejoining the Interstate and viewing more farms.

https://www.wallys.com/

The photo is of me in front of the house in which I grew up, assuming I ever did.






No comments: