Friday, April 1, 2022

Hilton Head Island: finally, one serious; a sailing video; whole range



A glorious day in the swamp.  75ºF at 5:30 PM.  Sunny.  A moderate breeze.

I am sitting on the screened porch, sipping a small amount of Plymouth gin and listening to Bach.

I am filled with virtue.  Of course, as I just wrote to a friend, I am always filled with virtue, but even more this evening.  Today I painted the non non-skid parts of GANNET’s deck.  This was a project that I began in early January.  I have—or so I convince myself—some legitimate excuses.  A virus.  Weather.  Not being here for almost six weeks.  But still!

I used KiwiGrip which I have not before.  It is not exactly a paint, but a deck covering intended to be stippled into a non-skid surface itself.  I am not interested in that.  This is only going in the small spaces between the Raptor non-skid pads.  I hoped it would cover better and last longer than the Interdeck paint I have been using.  Cover it did.   Last longer we will see.


A small delay while I refilled my truly small glass.  I provide the above photo as proof that it is small.  

I have to save room for a glass or two of Chianti which I will soon have after stretching my culinary skills to their limit by turning on the oven to bake a frozen pizza.



The other final is much more serious.  Perhaps tragic.  But I do not believe that dying during an endeavor you willingly undertake knowing it might be fatal is tragic.  

I made my first five circumnavigations without any way to call for help.  On my sixth I could through the Yellowbrick send out a distress signal.  I wish I could not have.  I know that hardly anyone will understand that. The purpose of the Yellowbrick was to let Carol know where I was.  Others were welcome to look in too.  

Working without a net.  Accepting total responsibility for your actions.  Is extreme.  And it is what I have done since age  thirteen.

I can set the age clearly because my mother for some reason demanded that I become an Eagle scout in the Boy Scouts.  I did at about the youngest age possible and never attended another meeting after I did.

She took credit for that award and I realized at that moment that if I blamed my parents for what is wrong with me, I would have to give them credit for what is right.  I did not want to share what is right with me, whatever that may be, so have never claimed others are responsible for my defects.  I accepted full responsibility for Webb Chiles in 1954 and I have never given it up.



This is from THE ASSASSIN’S CLOAK dated March 29, 1912, and is signed, Captain Robert Falcon Scott.




As regular readers know I don’t read much about sailing any more and I hardly ever watch sailing videos, but a comment from ZMK about the last journal post turned my attention to ePropulsion electric outboards.  I knew of them, but have in the past couple of days done more research during which I came across a video about the outboards by a young French sailor who sails exceptionally well a contemporary version of GANNET.  I enjoyed it.  Perhaps you will too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj8FRndSyLw



In a book by Rebecca West, THE TRAIN OF POWER, in which she reported on four trials, including the Nuremberg Trials in 1946, I came across this:




L’Chaim.


No comments: