Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Lake Forest: found; congratulations; rechop; booked



You have probably already seen this.  The wreck of Ernest Shackleton’s EUDURANCE has been found on the bottom of the Wedell Sea only four miles from where she was crushed by the ice more than one hundred years ago.  


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60662541


I admire Shackleton, as who would not, along with Roald Amundsen as the greatest of Polar explorers.  Recently I read a quote from Amundsen, “Adventure is just bad planning.”  You may recall my own:  “Amateurs seek adventures; professionals seek to avoid them.”  Planning is the key to avoidance.


Steve Earley has just completed an impeccable cruise in his SPARTINA from Charleston, South Carolina to Palatka, Florida.  He covered the almost 400 miles more quickly than I and perhaps he expected.  I congratulate him.

http://logofspartina.blogspot.com/



I learned Monday that one of the bits the beautiful skin cancer doctor chopped from me last week is a squamous cell carcinoma and that I will have to return this Friday to be rechopped.  While I would rather not be rechopped, this has enabled me to book a flight to Hilton Head next Tuesday.  Good.  I am old but I have a boat to prepare for a voyage to Iceland.

No comments: