Friday, March 25, 2022

Hilton Head Island: unstitched

 I removed my stitches this morning.  I was given a suture removal kit by the beautiful skin doctor and I am experienced in using them.  Not a skill I ever anticipated developing.  

You may recall that a great writer has observed that life is the process of turning baby smooth skin into scar tissue.  I am doing my part.


A front that brought rain for almost twenty-four hours has passed and the forecast is for sunny, warm weather with temperatures climbing each day from 68ºF/20ºC tomorrow.  No rain is expected until next Thursday.  On Monday I am going sailing for the first time this year.  I had a virus in January.  Then I was away.  And until today I had stitches.  Even though I don’t day sail much, this is a long time for me not to sail. 

 I may head up toward Beaufort to check out a boat yard there which is the closest I can haul and have GANNET anti-fouled.  I am told that no boat yards in South Carolina allow owners to do their own work.  An unfortunate increasingly prevalent trend.  Until Safe Harbor closed the little boat yard a few minutes walk from our condo, this was the most convenient place I have ever had a boat to haul out.  Now it is the least convenient.  

As long time readers know I would rather anchor with space around me, rather than in the confines of what I think is called the Beaufort River, so I don’t know where I will end up. I am looking forward to being on rather than looking at the water.  Looking is good.  On is immeasurably better. 



1 comment:

Shawn Stanley said...

Webb, I have found the same problem with yards. I keep my boat at a "Safe Harbor" chain, but I can't do any of my own work, so it is just a parking spot. There are a few yards nearby that still let you DIY, and I find that when I have my respirator, tyvek suit, & shop vac attached to my sander, I am probably more environmentally friendly than most in the few remaining DIY yards.
It is an interesting battle. I have my own opinions about what they let commercial boats get away with as compared to us recreational owners.
-Shawn