Friday, June 25, 2021

Lake Forest: settled; startled; unusual; meeting your maker; brushing your teeth


We have settled in.  Only a few boxes remain partially unpacked in the spare bedroom.  In one of them are the weights I use for one of my workouts.  Carol will eventually uncover them.  

I like this place more than I expected.  it is light and sunny and quiet and once again we are living in the tree tops.  That Carol’s alarm now goes off at 6:30 when I am always already up rather than 5 am is extremely pleasing.  However, we fly to Hilton Head on Sunday to meet the movers who are due to deliver our furniture on Tuesday and even though it is too hot there, I am looking forward to being on the coast again.


Imagine you are innocently driving along the interstate and look in your rear view mirror and find the above rapidly gaining on you.  It is of course only Kent and Audrey moving SCOUT, the man eating canoe, and WILLOW, part of the Armada, from Florida to Virginia.  When I consider the complexity of their move compared to ours, I am embarrassed ever to have had a moment of distress.  I am told that the Armada has now completed the relocation from Gulf Station to Mid-Atlantic Station and trust that the fleet will enjoy its new waters.

http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/2021/06/armada-relocation.html

On the other coast, Doryman is creating his own NW fleet, having moved onto land after living on board for a while.  

http://dory-man.blogspot.com/2021/06/change.html

Doryman, Kent and Audrey, as well as many of the rest of you, possess skills that I do not.  Two boats were too much for me.  I am a one boat man.




The above screenshot was taken a few hours ago of the Earth Wind Map which as regular readers know I check each morning.  

https://earth.nullschool.net/

The circular storm is category 1 typhoon Champi east of the Philippines, but what caught my attention is the area several hundred miles south of it where the wind is blowing out in all directions from the center.

Carol thinks the image looks like a painting by Van Gogh.


I just finished reading ALONE by Michael Korda of the famous film making family, though he himself became the editor in chief at Simon and Schuster.  The book is a very good retelling of Dunkirk and the events leading up to it.  The ‘alone’ of the title is the United Kingdom standing alone against Germany after the fall of France.  Among the good lines is a quote from Winston Churchill which I think I have posted here before.  “I am prepared to meet my maker.  Whether my maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.”


Comments on journal posts first come to me.  A few days ago I received this:

cảm ơn bài viết của bạn, mời các bạn xem các thông tin bài viết >> Sau sinh bạn có nên đánh răng ? 

Somehow I was skeptical and pasted it into Google Translate which identified it as Vietnamese as I expected.

The translation:  Thank you for your article, please see the article information >> Should you brush your teeth after giving birth?

Not planning to give birth I have not read the article.


2 comments:

Pat OR said...

Hi, I've never left a comment before and I don't know how to do it privately but .. feck it!.. I think I speak for lots of your quieter readers.

I look forward to your posts these days for the laconic, graceful way you describe, approach and accept what's happening in your life. To me it brings pleasure.

Best of luck on your various moves.

Pat

stormrev said...

Hi Webb

Good to hear of your move(s) and semi-successful decluttering! I've been looking forward to re-visiting our beloved Opua next week, having been 'stuck' here in Australia waiting for the Trans-Tasman Bubble to open. I'd almost finished packing when it was announced tonight the Bubble has been 'paused' once again due to the blessed Covid-19 cases rising once more...

If I ever do get back there, I'll salute both your mooring and beloved Pine-tree Island - and may even climb to the top of Roberton Island one more time and breathe in the vista!!

Grant