Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Hilton Head Island: stravaig and two others things I did not know plus gone


 

After almost eighty years there are still things I do not know.  This is surprising when many much younger than I are confident they know it all.  

Recently three friends have increased my knowledge.  Sadly I am becoming  doubtful that I will live long enough to know everything, but I am trying.


From Douglas in the UK comes ‘stravaig’ which is Scottish and he says means ‘something like aimless wandering with no destination.’

I googled and find this at the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

A synonym of "roam," "wander," and "ramble," "stravage" (also spelled "stravaig") isn't likely to pop up in your local newspaper-unless you're stravaging in Scotland or one of its neighbors. "Stravage" is not a new word; our earliest evidence of it dates to the late 18th century, when it likely developed by shortening and alteration from the now-archaic word extravagate, a synonym for "stray" and "roam" that can also mean "to go beyond proper limits." Note that if you use it correctly, you won't be extravagating by using "stravage"-no matter where you call home.


I particularly like ‘to go beyond proper limits’ and wonder who sets them.




From California friends, Susan and Howard, who are driving through the South for the first time, comes the revelation that the world’s biggest fire hydrant is located only 150 miles away.  That is it in the photo above.  It is almost 40’ tall and weighs 675,000 pounds and is so absurd I am unable to resist sharing it.  And I have tried for days to resist.  I am weak.  For more details should you wish them:


https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/12454


We are not planning a visit.




From Tim comes information about a new Laphroaig.


https://robbreport.com/food-drink/spirits/review-laphroaig-10-year-sherry-oak-finished-single-malt-1234615741/amp/


Since Suntory bought Laphroaig seven years ago I have noticed that the distillery has come out with several new versions.  I have bought bottles of all of them.  Some are all right.  Some, such as Triple Wood, I quite dislike.  None appeal to me as much as the original 10 year which the MBAs who are presumably now making the decisions have thus far been intelligent enough not to mess with.  I have also noticed that the 18 year old Laphroaig has been replaced by a 15 year.  Three years quicker to market.  I have not had the 15 year, but I have drunk with pleasure the 18 year.  It is unquestionably smoother than the 10 year, but I think has less character.


I will buy a bottle of the sherry finished 10 when I can find one and will dutifully report.



I thank Douglas, Susan and Howard, and Tim.




Carol begins to drive us back to Illinois tomorrow.  Nightfall should find us in the Smokey Mountains and Gatlingburg, Tennessee.  We will make the trip in three days this time instead of two and fly back here at the end of the month to meet the Mayflower truck carrying our incoming furniture.





No comments: