Monday, June 14, 2021

Evanston: sherry oak Laphroaig; I told you so; moving week


As is my duty I bought a bottle of Sherry Oak Finish 10 year Laphroaig and have sipped and am reporting.

First let me quote from the cylinder in which the bottle came:  This unique expression from Laphroaig combines the unforgettable flavor of our 10 year old whisky with the sweet, aromatic flavours from the Oloroso sherry casks.  This marriage of casks creates a rich, full bodied flavour  with notes of Manuka honey, bacon and maple syrup alongside the classic smoke, seaweed and hint of salt that Laphroaig is known and loved for.

Although that makes the whisky sound like a pancake, it is probably even true.  I do not smell or taste the bacon and as you easily can conclude, I prefer the classic.  I would even if the sherry oak and classic cost the same, which they decidedly do not.  Now that the Trump tariffs have been suspended, original 10 year costs $55 a bottle at our usual liquor store.  The Sherry Oak costs $95 a bottle.  It is a darker amber in color, smoother and sweeter than the original.  If you like whisky I expect you will like the Sherry Oak.  I will finish the bottle with pleasure.  I will not buy another.



For decades I have said that the Southern is the better hemisphere because there is less land, more ocean and fewer of us there.  Now superfluous confirmation comes from something called The Global Livability Index.



Six of the ten are in the Southern Hemisphere, four in Australia, two in New Zealand.  While ratings have been influenced by the strong response the governments of those countries have made to the pandemic, I have been to all the Australian and New Zealand cities except Adelaide and would gladly live in any, although I prefer Sydney to Melbourne and property prices in some have become California expensive.



This is moving week.  Interstate movers come on Wednesday to take some furniture and belongings to Hilton Head.  Local movers on Friday will take other stuff twenty miles north to Lake Forest.  We have thrown out a lot, but we still have too much stuff.

1 comment:

Conchscooter said...

Any list that concludes that Japan and Switzerland are livable is highly suspect. But there again my preferred habitation is a box shorter than Gannet which speaks to my sense of what's livable.