Sunday, April 11, 2021

Hilton Head Island: provisioned; octopus teacher; a good mob

I again biked to a supermarket and a liquor store yesterday and GANNET is now all but fully provisioned.  I would like to buy a few more snacks, two six-packs of beer, and a box of red wine, but If I don’t it will not matter.

Since having GANNET trucked back last September I have deliberately moved as much off her as possible.  When I slept on board last week I found that there was no spoon on board.  I had taken it to the condo.  I knew there were no clothes on the little boat and no alcohol.  I brought a bottle of wine down with me that day.  There are still no clothes on GANNET.  The other discrepancies have been rectified.

I still need to carry passage clothes and paper towels down, both of which are in abundance at the condo, and I need to fill the jerry cans with water.  One of the 5 gallon cans is full.  I will fill at least two of the remaining three cans.  

Although I expect the sail to take less than three weeks, GANNET is provisioned for well over a month.  She has enough on board for me to cross the Atlantic.  That’s all right.  If the sail turns into an undesired adventure I prefer not to starve immediately.

The twenty-eight stitches in my leg are due to be removed Thursday.  While the leg has not yet completely healed, I think I could go sailing the way it is now so long as I keep a bandage over the incision to prevent infection.  Hopefully by Thursday it will be even better.

The latest GRIB shows light wind here on Friday and almost none on Saturday.  Sunday looks promising, and these things change day to day.


With boxed wine in mind, Mark sent me a link to what claims to be superior boxed wine.  Unfortunately it is not available in the U.S.

https://greenskinwine.com/

Their red wines cost about $30 U.S. for the equivalent of a bottle.  That is twice as expensive as the wine I usually buy, but if it really is that good, I would try it if I could.

Mark also sent a link to a new brand of freeze dry food, again not available in the U.S.  Some of you will remember that my favorite freeze dry meals come from New Zealand’s Backcountry Cuisine.  This also looks promising.

https://www.radixnutrition.com/

I thank him for the links.



MY OCTOPUS TEACHER is a documentary nominated for an Academy Award available on Netflix.  It is the fascinating and compelling story of the restorative almost year long relationship between a burnt out cinematographer, Craig Foster, and a common octopus in the cold waters beneath his home south of Cape Town, South Africa.  This is not sentimental.  Some of it is harsh reality, as when the octopus loses an arm to a shark and her death.  I did not know that female octopus only live one year.  Shortly after mating, they die.  The oft-demonstrated intelligence of the octopus is remarkable, as is that Craig Foster did not use Scuba.  He free dove.  One of the most unusual and best films I have seen in a long while.



I am against mobs, but there are exceptions to most rules and I thank Andy for a link to this one. What a fine thing for the young to have done.

https://youtu.be/q3cpOrB1GW8

No comments: