Tuesday, August 18, 2020

San Diego: Marvin Creamer, ancient mariner; unbox; stuffed; alternatives

 I thank Mark for a link to the obituary of Marvin Creamer, who recently died at age 104.  A professor of geography, he is known for having circumnavigated using no instruments, not even a compass.  He viewed the sky and the sea and birds and insects and even deduced direction from a squeak.  I remember reading about his remarkable voyage, but did not remember his name.  I agree with him that there were mariners of old who were unafraid of the sea and who navigated as he did.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/sports/sailing/marvin-creamer-a-mariner-who-sailed-like-the-ancients-dies-at-104.html?searchResultPosition=1


Early Tuesday afternoon.  I heard from Kasey, the rigger, a little while ago.  The new furling gear was shipped in two boxes.  One has arrived.  One has not.  Maybe tomorrow afternoon.  Sigh.


I am stuffed.  About 11:30, wanting to avoid noon, I walked around to the Royal Rooster and got a carne asada taco and a barbarcoa (not sure about the spelling) barbecued pork.  I brought them back to GANNET to eat.  Both very good, but one would have been enough.

Royal Rooster seemed to be doing about as much business as pre-pandemic.  They have moved the cash register to what was the front door.  You place your order there and it is brought out a side door to a pick-up table.  People were eating at three or four of the outdoor tables, but while I was there most orders were taken away.

No dinner tonight.



Also no new bids at uShip.   I rejected the only one offered so far as being too high.  Why they want almost as much to truck GANNET 2400 miles across this country as I paid to have her trucked 50 miles across Panama.  Outrageous.

It is possible that bidders will wait until near the end of the listing period which still has six days to run.  If no acceptable bids come, I will search further online and/or accept a quote from a boat transport company I already have.

However last night I found myself checking the distance San Diego to Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands and Port Stanley to Hilton Head.  Both are about 6300 miles.  I could do that.  I’m not going to.  But I did check.

No comments: