Thursday, August 20, 2020

San Diego: rigged



 



Simon and Gabe appeared this morning with the new furling gear and the replacement aft lower shroud tie downs.  Assembled, installed, tuned, and GANNET is now rigged for another circumnavigation.  I am not saying she will make one, but she’s ready.  Or will be after painting, antifouling, and replacement interior cushions and pipe berths.  Most of which is cosmetic, but aesthetics count.

The furling gear a a ProFurl NC32i.  It is decidedly more substantial than the Furlex and maintenance free.  I had a ProFurl unit on THE HAWKE OF TUONELA and like them.

The old aft lower shroud tie downs were Dyneema which does not stretch much, but did some, so I have had them replaced with wire.  Also the old turnbuckles were at the bottom instead of the top and difficult to reach for adjustment.

So I have been able to check several things off my ‘to do’ list without doing anything much except watch others work.  New masthead tricolor/anchor light.  Wind transducer installed.  New furling gear.  All new standing rigging.  

Oh, there is something more I have to do.  Write a check.  Gladly.  

Thank you Pacific Offshore Rigging.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi sir Webb,
Im curious if anything was wrong with the furlex to warrant replacement?
Also, I checked the Profurl catalogue and could not find the model you mention.
The correct one for a 24 foot boat appears to be c260 or c290 according to the pro furl catalogue https://www.profurl.com/images/info_pages/2020-english-catalogue-287.pdf
Enjoying reading your blog.
Cheers
Mikiyo

Webb said...

The Furlex did complete the circumnavigation, but the top section of the foil separated and jammed, fortunately while at the dock in Panama. Had this happened at sea it would have been a serious problem.

Profurl units of lesser robustness are listed for boats GANNET’s size. Kasey, the rigger, who knows that I use boats more extremely than the average sailor recommended that I step up to the NC32. I trust his judgement. I believe that the ‘i’ only indicates a different link from the furling drum to the deck.

I do not know how hard I will use GANNET in the future, but I am preparing her as though she will go around again, and if she does she will not go through Panama, she will go around Cape Horn, so while saving weight is good, strong is essential.