Saturday, August 29, 2020

San Diego: antifouled; medical bulletin


 The first coat of Pettit Vivid White is on.  Howard kindly came over this morning to help.  This is an act of kindness for which I can not sufficiently thank him.  Actually I helped him.  He offered to do it all, but I sat on the ground and painted the keel and what I could reach from there and he stood and started at the waterline and worked down until we met.  Among the many virtues of small boats is that it doesn’t take long to antifoul them.  We were finished in less than an hour.

I had also planned to repaint the rub rail.  The white paint has flaked off the underlying red plastic.  However I don’t think that is going to get done now.  It is easy to do while GANNET is in a slip, one side at a time.


The old blind fool is doing better than expected.  Even old people heal.  Sometimes.

My right foot and ankle are still grotesquely swollen, but I have no pain at rest and can stand and hobble fairly well.  Ibuprofen and my usual evening libations, which are now medicinal, have helped.  I thought I might even hobble down to the deli for a sandwich for lunch today, but half way across the boat yard I changed my mind.  I had planned to walk around Monday to the Royal Rooster for my last of the world’s best tacos, but that is a half mile and probably beyond my present range.


6 comments:

Alan B said...

It is so annoying to be nursing an injury when you have things to do. Now that I'm older I notice that little mishaps that would have only caused embarrassment actually hurt me! I enjoy your posts and wish you all the best getting yourself and Gannet back to SC.

Anonymous HR VP said...

It’s important to have goals and those fish tacos are a laudable one. You can do it!

David Hughes said...

It’s important to have goals and those fish tacos are a laudable one. You can do it!

Webb said...

Thank, Alan and David. More antifouling this morning. Tacos do tempt. We’ll see

Nathan de Vries said...

I'm curious if you have any opinions/experience that lead to your preference for Pettit Vivid? I recently had the bottom of my first boat done (also from Santa Cruz, an SC27), and it was a struggle to navigate the murky waters of information on the subject. I ended up going with Micron 66, which seems to be a favorite here in San Francisco. Happy with my choice, but interested in any experience you have on the matter :-)

Webb said...

I didn’t have time to respond, Nathan, until this morning back in Evanston.

I like white bottom paint which sets off the color of the topsides and in the US Petit Vivid is one of the few that comes in white. International makes a hard antifouling paint in white that is available in other countries, but not as far as I know in the US. Also white paint makes it easier to see the bottom and check for growth or damage.

On THE HAWKE OF TUONELA and maybe RESURGAM I used one of the Microns that came in a grey/white. I don’t recall the number. I did google Micron 66 and did not see that color available.

Hard paint is easier to scrub hard between haulouts. Ablative doesn’t build up and smooths with use and is illegal some places.

Pettit Vivid White works for me, but obviously the choice is subjective not objective.