Monday, August 24, 2020

San Diego: it’s happening (I think)

Yesterday morning I woke a little after 6 AM, raised the anchor quietly, and Torqeedoed back to the marina just as the sun was rising over the inland mountains.  Lovely.  Until as I neared GANNET’s side tie, I found a large sea lion sleeping, one fin in the air, right off the end of the dock and directly in my way.  I was powering slowly and the Torqeedo is quiet.  Perhaps too quiet.  I shouted at him.  Nothing.  I put the Torqeedo in neutral and as we glided slowly forward shouted again.  Nothing.  Just as GANNET’s bow was going to play bumper seal and give him a slight nudge, his alarm bells sounded and he went into a great splashing crash dive.  I know sea lions are a protected species.  GANNET was barely making headway and would not have hurt him. I put the Torqeedo back in gear and docked.  As I was securing the dock lines, he surfaced a short distance away and glared at me.  

I made a  video at anchor in Mariner’s Cove but will have to wait until I have a better Internet connection to upload it.



Having been denied the pleasure of running into GANNET on Saturday, the kayakers made up for it yesterday.  I lost count, but I am reasonably certain a record was set.   In mid-afternoon while I was at Central reading, one scraped alongside so persistently that I stood up.  I found myself looking down at two frightened children, a boy and a girl, both around 10 in a two person kayak.  Although it was so long ago it is difficult to believe, but I was young once.  I could do nothing but smile at them and say, “It is a good idea not to run into boats.”  The girl said in a small voice, “I know.”

 

I had a good experience with uShip for the move from Illinois to San Diego eight years ago, but GANNET had a trailer then.  This time I have had only two bids, both higher than a quote I got from a boat moving firm several months ago to gauge prices.  So this morning I did an online search and began to make phone calls.  One company here in California does not truck farther east than Texas, but a helpful man there gave me other leads, one of which I believe is going to work.  For those interested, quotes ranged from $5,000 to $8,000.  

I have arranged to have GANNET hauled from the water this Thursday and Kasey is going to send a rigger over to help me—or the other way around—lower the mast.  I will antifoul GANNET over the weekend.  The tentative pick-up date is next Tuesday or Wednesday.  Hauling out on Friday would have been my preference, but the travel lift is fully booked that day.

Assuming this comes to pass, I will fly to Chicago for a few days and then on to Hilton Head.  The trucker asked if it would be acceptable if he stops in Texas to spend the Labor Day Weekend with his family.  More than acceptable, it is perfect, permitting me not to have to rush to Hilton Head and making it easier to coordinate the arrival at the small boat yard there after Labor Day.

I am excited.  It seems to be happening.      

No comments: