Thursday, January 19, 2023

Lake Forest: an unexpected sense of humor: clipper ships with reservations; definitive proof of global warming

From Larry comes a video of Nick Saban for which I thank him.

For those of you who do not follow US college football, Nick Sabin is the coach of the University of Alabama and the most successful and highest paid of all college football coaches in the country.  His present contract pays him more than ten million dollars a year.  He is all business and suffers the press only stoically as part of his job.  He is not known for a sense of humor, but obviously he has one.  From his appearance this video came from a presentation a decade or two ago.  I laughed out loud when I watched it.  I did when I watched it again.



From Eric comes a video about the age of the Clipper Ships which I enjoyed with reservations.  I thank him for the link.

The commentary is inaccurate and hyperbolic, written as I expect is always the case by those who have never sailed those or probably any other waters.  The Forties are not treacherous.  They cannot be.  No ocean has made a pact with man that could be broken.  Not all sailors are superstitious.  Nor is Cape Horn the nightmare of all sailors.  I know that as a fact because I know at least one sailor for whom those assertions are not true.  Using words precisely and having real experience is a wearing burden.  Still I enjoyed this and perhaps you will too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YuDLsjFGQU


It has been truly said that you may deny climate change, but your insurance company does not.  This was personally brought home to Carol and me when our Hilton Head Home Owners Association charged a special assessment because the cost of insurance on the units has doubled since last year.

Personally I have experienced the definitive proof of climate change.  A bottle of Laphroaig bought only last Saturday is now empty.  Clearly this is due to evaporation caused by Chicago having a warmer than usual winter.  No other explanation is possible.  I am willing to repeat this experiment and offer it for peer review, assuming you can find my peers.  In fact I am so interested that I will buy another bottle and carefully observe the results.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick Saban, Bill Belichik, and Steve Hansen ( former coach of the All Blacks - all share the same “enthusiasm” for the press.

Webb said...

Justifiably.