Friday, January 13, 2023

Lake Forest: refrozen; wave; repeat

I had good news yesterday when the results of my biopsies were reported more quickly than usual.  Three of the sites were benign and two require only to be frozen again.  That is scheduled for later this month, and I instantly proceeded to book my flights back to Hilton Head for February 2.  

I plan to go sailing in March to no where in particular.  I would like to put the wind on or aft of the beam and head offshore for several days, perhaps a week, and then make my way back.



I thank Tim for this link about the most extreme wave ever recorded.

https://www.sciencealert.com/extreme-rogue-wave-in-the-north-pacific-confirmed-as-most-extreme-on-record

I am surprised that it was only 58’/17.6 meters.  I note the ‘only’.  58’ is certainly big, but I thought bigger waves had been recorded.  I also do not think ‘rogue’ appropriate.  Rogue implies deliberate hostility.  Waves are not sentient.  Waves are not hostile.  They just are.  Freak might be better, but no doubt is a politically incorrect word.

I am also surprised that the standard to be considered a rogue wave is to be only twice the height of surrounding waves.  That seems too small a difference.  I think it should be at least three times surrounding waves.  Even by that greater standard the two waves that struck GANNET a few hundred miles off Samoa were ‘rogues’.  They were three to four times higher than surrounding waves.



Jared just commented about a journal entry published almost three years ago.  I am pleased that a few read past journal entries.  I reread it myself.  Jared liked it.  I like it.  You might too.

https://self-portraitinthepresentseajournal.blogspot.com/2020/05/evanston-good-question-on-marriage.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, very glad you are active and plan for a sailing trip on March. Biopsies reports seem point to a promising future. For some reasons your comment on YouTube about the next circumnavigation plan in 2027 jumped to my mind this morning. I stop by.