Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Hilton Head Island: frozen in time; books; 3Dless

In case you have not read the introduction to my main site recently, which I expect likely, here is some of the first part:

Note:  This site is created using iWeb which Apple has not supported for years, so be advised that it may become frozen in time without warning.

There is something to be said for publishing on paper.


That has now happened.

When I tried to upload ‘The Joy of Small Boats’ I was unable to connect to my site.  Despite repeated efforts by the support team at Machighway, which hosts the site, and myself over the past two days, I still can’t connect.  I expect the problem is that iWeb has become corrupted.  I have kept an old MacBook with the Mojave OS just for iWeb because the application will not work on any more recent OS.  There may still be a way, but upon reflection I am not sure I want to.  There is enough on 

https://www.inthepresentsea.com/the_actual_site/webbchiles.html

to keep my future biographers busy for years and if they want to know what happens from now on, they can come here.  There is a life there.


So the main site is frozen in time.  I am not.  Yet.




I was asked to comment on the books I read in the last six months.


In looking over the list, several are classics and favorites I have read before, often more than once, and can highly recommend, though your tastes may not be the same as mine.  BARRABAS, THE UNDERDOGS, THE MAIAS, VICTORY.  I think I have read all of Conrad, much of his work at least twice, and find myself regretting there is not more.


While James Vance Marshall's THE WIND AT MORNING is not a classic, I think it should be and have written about it in a journal post a while ago.


hilton-head-island-wind-in-morning.html


I had the pleasure of coming across two new to me great authors last year:  Yasunari Kawabata and Machado de Assis.  Before even finishing the first of their books, I bought two more.  I've read a second by Kawabata, but not yet de Assis.  Both men are famous in their own countries and should be more widely.


LEGIONNAIRE was a pleasant surprise.  The memoire of a young Englishman who enlisted in the French Foreign Legion and served at the end of the colonial war in Algeria.  I found the view into a world I do not know interesting, educational and entertaining.


BOLIVAR is a fine biography of the liberator of much of South America and a study in perseverance, great success and great failure.


The one book on the list that I would not recommend is the 1900 edition of THE OXFORD BOOK OF ENGLISH VERSE.  There are other editions that I have enjoyed, but the 1900 is full of obscure, verbose, graceless 'poems'.  I put that in quotes because most of them do not deserve the name.


THE GREATEST DAY IN HISTORY, a day by day account mostly in the words of those then living of the last week of what we now call World War One was eye-opening and shocking.





Yesterday afternoon Carol and I saw AVATAR:  THE WAY OF WATER.  Carol saw it in 3D.  I did not.  I learned that 3D doesn't work with only one eye.  The movie is entertaining and a technological triumph because it seems real and almost none of it is.  Both of us agree, along with others, that at more than three hours it is too long.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It works with one and a half eyes but I don't think it improves it by much!
David