Monday, January 16, 2023

Lake Forest: the good old days

Last Saturday I received an email from Elaine Lembo whom I knew as an editor with CRUISING WORLD announcing that she has become the editor of CARIBBEAN COMPASS, a publication of which I was not aware.  I goggled and found it online and skimmed through the December issue in which I came across a piece about new tolls for transiting the Panama Canal.  Increases go into effect on January 1 of each of the next three years.  Effective January 1, 2023 the toll for vessels up to 65’ is $1,760.  2024  $1,935.  2025  $2,130. 

The first two times I transited the Canal in the 1980s I paid $125 for the 36’ RESURGAM.  This, combined with global warming, increasingly uncivil politics, the frequency of mass shootings, social media lies and hysteria, ever increasing rules and regulations, causes me to wonder if in fact I didn’t live in the good old days.  

Perhaps all old people think that; but I have not until recently.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Webb JD in NZ. It was that revelation that moved me and family to NZ 2014. Have accomplished a great deal in life but healthy, safe and happy in NZ is my biggest accomplishment

Anonymous said...

I haven’t accomplished much but I did get to transit the canal on my boat at the end of the US administration for five hundred bucks. Looking back that doesn’t seem bad. I also visited the late Pedro Miguel Boat club which I enjoyed.