Thursday, September 8, 2022

Hilton Head Island: California hurricane; negroni; two poems; Bach and God


The above screen shot of this morning's Earth Wind Map shows odd behavior.  At least odd in the past.

In the Atlantic you have Earl and Danielle wandering about.  Danielle formed far north of where storms usually do and has followed a most erratic track.  Off Baja California you have Kay moving up the west coast of that peninsula.  She is expected almost to reach San Diego before curving out to sea.  Here I am in Hilton Head, South Carolina, with nothing to worry about in the immediate future and San Diegans are on the edge of a hurricane.  I note that is what the National Hurricane Center is calling Kay.  I was uncertain what storms are called in that part of the world.  Hurricanes in the North Atlantic.  Cyclones in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean.  Typhoons off eastern Asia.  Apparently hurricanes off the west coast of this continent.

I seem to recall reading that San Diego was hit by a hurricane in the mid-1800s.  The must have been quite a storm.  San Diego is usually protected by cold water.  Tropical disturbances need sea temperature of 79ºF/26ºC to sustain them.  The average sea water temperature off San Diego in September is 69º.  However yesterday it was 73.9º which tied the warmest temperature for that date in at least the last ten years.  Getting closer.

In comparison the sea temperature off Hilton Head Island yesterday was 84.6º and has been above 79º all summer.

I expect that with global warming storms are going to reach places, such as Southern California and New Zealand, where in the past they have usually not.

I was first informed about what has become Kay by my friend Susan Wormsley who noticed it on a forecast weather map more than a week ago. I thank her.  Susan was born in San Diego and has lived most of her life there.  I don't think she used to think about hurricanes.



Thanks to David I had a new to me drink last evening, a negroni.  Actually I had almost two negronis because Carol did not care for hers, so I generously finished it for her.

As the more dissolute among you know a negroni is made with equal parts gin, Campari and sweet vermouth.  I had to buy the Campari and sweet vermouth.  I of course had gin on hand.  Campari is one of those liquids I had long heard of but never tasted.

I enjoyed the drinks and will have no difficulty over time reducing the bottles of Campari and vermouth rosso.  Whether I will then replenish them I have not yet decided.



While I have said that I am not a zen person, I am very much enjoying the POETRY OF ZEN ANTHOLOGY.

From Kikaku, (1661-1707) a pleasing snippet:


And from Mansei words that I have often thought and written myself while glancing back at my boat's vanishing wake.





And I thank Tim for a wonderful quote from Bela Bartok:

It may well be that some composers do not believe in God.  All of them, however, believe in Bach.

3 comments:

Jim Norman said...

A tropical storm actually landed in Long Beach, CA in September 1939. Interestingly, I think that was also a quiet year in the Atlantic. Living in SoCal for 63 years I remember any number of tropical storm remnants bringing rain, thunderstorms and sometimes wind. My most memorable is T.S. Ignacio in August 1997, I was at anchor in Pelican Bay, Santa Cruz Island. Conditions were deteriorating quickly, NWS had a gale warning up, most boats left for the mainland. Wind was mostly from the south, maybe 30 kts with higher gusts, with localized eddies around the island. Pelican was getting pretty uncomfortable. We ended up riding it out in Prisoner's Harbor, where we were in the lee of the island as the canyon kept the wind coming off the island. Our anchor dragged a couple of times, we finally got it to hold by nosing into the beach, dropped it in about 6' of water and let out about 25:1 scope. By late afternoon the storm had passed, we went back to Pelican and had a very nice anchorage all to ourselves. I think Ignacio finally came ashore at San Francisco Bay. So it does happen.

Webb said...

Thanks, Jim, for the information.

I do recall the remnants of storms making their way north, some going up the Sea of Cortez and even reaching Arizona, which could use the rain, though not so much so quickly, and I know that a few cyclone have reached New Zealand. I expect it is going to happen more frequently.

Clark said...

After Skipper lived in Corpus Christi for 36 years, enduring Hurricanes like Celia, I took her to Yuma, AZ. Cat 4 Hurricane Nora showed up in Tropical Storm strength after wandering up Baja Peninsula. We prepped, I moved the Drascombe under the back porch cover, and 4 inches of rain fell in a couple of hours.