Saturday, September 17, 2022

Hilton Head Island: a boat; a beer; a correction; a death poem—not mine

 


Steve and Elizabeth Earley have been vacationing on the Greek island of Hydra.  Naturally Steve found an open boat.  He posted the above photo of a very pretty one on his site.  Naturally he also has posted photos of food.  As I pointed out some years ago his LOG OF SPARTINA is really a food site with occasional mention of boats.  Hydra looks lovely.  Food and all.

http://logofspartina.blogspot.com/





On passages I routinely drink a can of something in mid-afternoon.  On my early voyages it was Coca-Cola.  But some decades ago I lost my taste for sweet drinks and began having a can of beer.  This truly was for the liquid, not the alcohol.  I very seldom drink beer ashore.  A few years ago Lee suggested I consider non-alcoholic beer.  Well, as you can see I finally did and I like it.  The Heineken also comes in cans, essential on GANNET.  On the off chance I ever make an ocean passage again, a case will be on board.  Someone once told me you can’t drink warm beer.  Of course you can.  And air temperature gin, too.



If you read the comments on the preceding post you know that there is, in fact, a Webb Chiles Wikipedia entry.  I thank Sean for informing me of this.  I also thank whoever took the time to create it.  I don’t recall when I last checked Wikipedia for myself.  Perhaps a year or two ago. From the dates it appears this entry was created a few months ago.  What is there is basic and accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webb_Chiles




As is known I read some poetry and listen to some Bach every day.  Of the poetry I usually read a few poems by Western poets and a few by Japanese or Chinese poets, usually in the afternoon.  I recently finished THE POETRY OF ZEN and looked on Amazon for something similar.  I found JAPANESE DEATH POEMS:  Written by Zen Monks and Haiku Poets on the Verge of Death.  The introduction states that writing a death poem is a Japanese tradition.  Or was.  The most recent I have seen in the anthology date from the 1700s.  Many of these poets lived unusually long lives.   A few were even older than I.  Here is one I like:
















5 comments:

Flick said...

Mr. Chiles:

By any & all means, give Athletic Brewing's non-alcoholic brews a try. Hops-forward IPA's that are the real thing -- just no (well, very little) alcohol. Really good.

(For my money, Heineken has a name and loyalty, but I don't find it "different" enough.)

Also:
Q: Why is most American beer like making love in a canoe?
A: They're both effing close to water!

-- Paul B.

Flick said...

. . . AND:
Yes, you can and may drink boat-temperature beer. (I cool mine by storing a few down with the keel bolts in my boat's amusingly-small bilge. (It's actually about the right depth for a beer can -- lying on its side.)

-- Paul B.

Webb said...

As I expect you know I was born in St. Louis and grew up in a suburb. St. Louis is the home of Anhauser Busch and the back then at least everyone drank Budweiser. I thought that was what beer is until I moved to California and learned otherwise.

During my childhood, my mother often served canned tamales. I thought that was what Mexican food is. I was in California for about a year before I went to a Mexican restaurant and learned otherwise.

Flick said...

Always learning, that Webb guy!

Actually, between occasions that demand I reward myself with the tasty, more expensive stuff (Athletic), I fill the gaps with Budweiser's "ZERO" non-alcoholic -- a light, crisp, non-sweet bubbly drink that sort-of-resembles beer.

Go well!

Bob said...

Hi Webb,

I also drink non-alcoholic beer and thought I'd settled on Heineken until I tried Clausthaler. I like it a bit more but not sure if it comes in cans.