Friday, November 1, 2019

San Diego: it’s all right to be alone

The NEW YORK TIMES recently ran an article saying that it is all right to spend some time alone.  Really?  Who knew?  Well, I knew and if you have been reading this for a while I expect you knew too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/28/smarter-living/the-benefits-of-being-alone.html?fallback=false&recId=231292128&locked=1&geoContinent=NA&geoRegion=NV&recAlloc=home&geoCountry=US&blockId=home-living&imp_id=812084955&action=click&module=Smarter%20Living&pgtype=Homepage


“Historically solitude has had a pretty bad rap,” states one ‘expert’.  And, “Despite the social stigma and apprehension about spending time alone.”  And, ‘Our aversion to being alone can be quite drastic:  a quarter of women and two-thirds of the men in a University of Virginia study choose to subject themselves to electric shock rather than do nothing and spend time alone with their own thoughts.”

I expect I, too, would rather have had an electric shock than spend time with their thoughts and score one for women.

I find it interesting that some reporter felt a need to write this article and some editor a need to publish it, and that it has for several days appeared on the ‘Most Popular’ page.

Apparently it is possible to get through journalism school without ever having read Thoreau.  I know it is possible to get through without having read Webb Chiles, almost as great a loss.

Sometimes I get discouraged.  I am so far ahead of the mass of our species that they are never going to catch up or even get close before I reach the finish line.  So, rather than spend time with my own thoughts, I walked around and ate a carne asada taco and a scoop of rainbow sherbet.