You may recall that I concluded an earlier post wondering what the comfort ratio would be for CHIDIOCK TICHBORNE. My friend Bill in England provided the answer. I quote his email and I thank him. It brought more than one smile.
Despite what the raw number implies about "comfort," the Drascombe Lugger is legendary for being an exceptionally seaworthy, stable, and forgiving open boat. Its safety comes from its hull shape and flexible yawl rig rather than heavy displacement:
• Intended Environment: It is designed for pottering around rivers, estuaries, and coastal creeks—environments where it excels.
• Form Stability: Its relatively wide beam (6.25 ft) compared to its short waterline provides great initial stability, making it a stable platform for family day outings.
• Extreme Voyaging: Legendary sailors like Webb Chiles have famously made massive offshore passages in a Lugger, proving its ultimate sea-keeping capability, even if doing so offers very little physical comfort in heavy weather.
I have almost no experience with AI, but it seems to like me. Another sailor who asked some bot about Webb Chiles received a quite complimentary response. It is possible that the bots will be discussing me long after they have eradicated our species from the planet. An immortality of sorts, I suppose, but not one I ever imaged.
Of formulas, of which I am skeptical because they often, perhaps always, exclude essential factors which are difficult or impossible to measure, another friend, Zane in New Zealand, sent me a comparison of GANNET with his boat, an English built Twister.
Here is what he sent:
What is most interesting is that though these are very different boats—the Twister displaces five times what the Moore does and has only about 40% more sail area, the hull speeds are said to be almost identical. Yet both Zane and I know that GANNET in almost all conditions can leave his boat below the horizon in minutes. The formula that claims they have the same hull speed is considering only waterline. The two boats do have similar waterlines; but waterline length is not the sole basis for evaluating speed. What is not considered is how quickly a boat can accelerate and how quickly it can surf, if it can surf at all. Ultralight light GANNET accelerates faster than any other boat I have ever owned and she surfs with any good wave or often with only a slight increase of wind; and in light wind she often sails near wind speed when a heavier boat might not be sailing at all.
I do not claim GANNET is a better boat than Zane’s Twister. The right boat, like the right partner, is the one that suits you. GANNET suits me. Zane’s Twister suits him. I wish that she gives him joy as GANNET has given me and thank him for sending the comparison.

No comments:
Post a Comment