Monday, June 12, 2023

Hilton Head Island: thunderstorms

Predicted thunderstorms arrived about 6 pm last evening while I was eating sushi for dinner.  I biked to a supermarket that morning for necessities such as grapefruit juice, berries, milk, wine, and bought sushi then.

This condo is a denser membrane to the natural world than a boat, but still good, and I opened the door to the porch and was almost outside and enjoyed the storm.

After dinner I finished reading LOVE IN THE AGE OF CHOLERA while listening to rain on the deck and distant thunder.  

Book finished and rain slowed to a trickle, I poured myself a small gin, put in my AirPods so as not to disturb the neighbors, and went out on the porch to sip and listen to Max Richter’s excellent soundtrack to the movie, THE HOSTILES, and smell damp earth and leaves.

Gabriel Garcia Marques’s view of old age is very different from my experience of it.  He was a fine writer.  I checked to see how long he lived and he died at 87, so he experienced more of old age than I yet have, but the book was published in 1988 when he was only 61 and I think he imagined old age wrong.  Perhaps not for most.  I do not know about most.  But certainly for me and perhaps if genes and time and chance permit for you, too.  As another great writer has observed:  until it is a reason, old age is not an excuse.

THE HOSTILES is a very good movie.  The score is even better.

I enjoyed the music, the gin, the darkness, the night.

Thunderstorms are forecast for every day this week until Friday.  I would like to go sailing, but I don’t expect it will happen soon.



The photo seems appropriate.  It was taken on another dark night, that one at sea.



 

3 comments:

Timothy Hazlett said...

A perfect evening. Cheers.

Solosailor said...

You in the dark is a bit Vincent Van Gogh. Two artists, one using brush and knife the other wind and sail.

Anonymous said...

Ah! You beat me to the Van Gogh connection!