Friday, June 23, 2023

Hilton Head Island: rich tourists; Yeats on politics; a little color


 

"These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world’s oceans.  Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time. We grieve the loss of life and joy they brought to everyone they knew."


The above is from the official statement by the presumptuously named OceanGate, the company that operated the imploded submersible.  It is complete self-serving nonsense.


These men were not explorers and if you have been here a while you know what I think about adventures.  They were very rich tourists who paid $250,000 each for a thrill and an experience with which they hoped to impress fools at parties.  I am not sure their deaths were tragic, being completely a result of their own choices, and I am certain no one brings joy to everyone they know.





Yeats died in 1939 at age 73.  That is among his last poems and perhaps thoughts.






Our prolonged unsettled weather continues.  Rain last night and this morning has paused long enough for me to bike down to GANNET where I fitted a replacement cover on the Sportaseat.   As you can see I decided to add a little color to the Great Cabin. 


More rain is due later this afternoon.  Possibly the weekend will be drier and I can bike to a supermarket, which I need to do at least once more before I fly to Chicago a week from tomorrow.







No comments: