Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Hilton Head Island: details


 

Above is a sign that amuses me because it is located on the pier leading out to the marina and it advises to avoid water.

I am presently washing my sleeping bag and boat clothes.  Another pair of Levis became boat clothes during last week’s sail.

I do not know how far we sailed.  At one point I noted that we were 160 miles from a waypoint off Port Royal Sound.  That point is about 10 sailing miles from GANNET’s slip, so we sailed at least 340 miles.  From our Yellowbrick track I conclude that we sailed somewhere between 400-500 miles.

I have noted that when sailing GANNET there will be blood.  I have five dings.  One on my left arm, one on my right leg, three on my head.  I need a carbon fiber skull cap.  The one on my leg is a bit nasty, but healing.

I have written that you only really get to know a boat by living on her.  GANNET is cleaner now that when we first left the slip.  I routinely cleaned canisters and glasses and other items as I used them.  I also added several items to my to do list,

Remove cockpit bulkhead compass.  This has leaked ever since I installed it despite my extensive efforts to seal it.  It leaked again.  From the leak water drips onto the starboard pipe berth where I sometimes sleep.  I seldom look at that compass and did not once during the sail.  I have an excellent compass on my wrist in my Apple Watch Ultra and I use the mastmounted Velocitek.  There are also compasses in my iPhone, iPad Pro, and iPad mini.  So the bulkhead compass is going.

Lines for water jerry cans.  The ones I am using to tie them in place are of too small a diameter and difficult to untie.  I’ll cut some thicker ones.

Replace halyard attachment line at the end of boom.  I hook the main halyard shackle there when the halyard is not in use.  The line is tied in a small loop and the cover has frayed.

Charging cords.  Charging cords corrode on GANNET.  The ones on board are still usable, but deteriorating.  I will buy new ones.  I need USB, USB micro, USB-C, Lightning, and the cord to charge my watch.  And GANNET is a simple boat.

USB cigarette light adapter.  On the starboard side of the Great Cabin I have an outlet with two USB outlets built in.  On the port side a cigarette lighter socket into which I can plug my portable inverter and the chargers for the electric outboards.  GANNET still has the Torqeedo on board as well as the newer ePropulsion.  The adaptors on board are corroding.  I have ordered new ones.

Inverter.  I have been using a small portable inverter into which I plug the charger for my MacBook Air and iPad Pro.  It no longer works.  It starts and then almost immediately shuts down.  I have an older bigger inverter on board.  It works.  I will buy a backup of the bigger.

Gel cushions.  Maybe two.  All three of the inflatable cushions I use to protect myself from sharp edges while sitting at Central leaked during the sail, so I used flotation cushions which are too firm.  Gel cushions are more comfortable, and of course comfort is what sailing GANNET is all about.  Or not.

While sailing I found a bottle of hand sanitizer I did not remember I had on board from pandemic days.  I used it as well as antiseptic wipes.  My level of hygiene is not as high while sailing GANNET as it is on land.  I will try to remember to take hand sanitizer on future sails.

Here is a photo of the light I used as a stern light.  Thus far I am impressed with it.  

NaviSafe makes several different models.  This one has only white LEDs.  I am having to use deck nav lights because the masthead Tri-color/anchor light has stopped working and Hilton Head being the most inconvenient place I have ever lived in which to get work done on a boat I have not been able to have it fixed.




And last, though it has nothing to do with the sail, permit me to say how much I dislike Daylight Savings Time, which was first introduced during WW1 as a way to save fuel and energy.  As far as I know there has never been a study that shows it does this or ever did.  I much prefer living with the natural rhythms of the sun. 










11 comments:

Shawn Stanley said...

Hi Webb,
We run the NaviSafe on the Melges 32 I race on. We occasionally need it for evening races. We clamp the tricolor on the bow pulpit and set it to red/green 240°, and then have a white one like yours on a pole with 120° white for stern light..I think we change the batteries once per year, but I suspect in long term storage the batteries will likely corrode and leak before they are dead. Hopefully the owner remembered to take them out at the end of the season.
As for the charge cables, I picked up a 3-way style that has Micro, C, & Lightning. As far as I can tell, the charge rate is not diminished with multiple devices connected. Search "multi charging cable" on Amazon for all kinds of options in case you have not already seen them.
Oh, and welcome back. Glad the alligators didn't get you in Skull Creek!
-Shawn
Solomons, MD

Webb said...

Thank you, Shawn, both for the information about the NaviSafe battery life and the 3 way cables. I did not know they exist and will search Amazon.

Despite the warning signs, I haven’t seen an alligator in Skull Creek for several months.

Unknown said...

Webb, I second the three-way cables, and mine has a volt meter on the plug which functions as my battery monitor! Hugh

Webb said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Two are ordered from Amazon. They should reduce the wire clutter. No volt meter, but I have a wired battery monitor.

Flick said...

Webb:

I totally agree re: Daylight Savings Time. But I also have realized that, since my retirement, concepts like "08:00" and "Monday" have become almost completely irrelevant.
DST for me has become little more than some inconvenient changes to various clocks.

BTW, thanks for the "hat picture". :-)

Unknown said...

I follow ditching the bulkhead compass. But do you not want a $10 orienteering compass as a backup? In case your electronics take a swim?

Webb said...

Thanks for the offer. I have a handheld compass mounted in the Great Cabin which I could use on deck in an emergency.

I was down on GANNET this morning and took the measurement of what size plastic I need to cover the hole once the compass is gone.

Shawn Stanley said...

There are all kinds of things you can do to plug that hole...I have used HDPE (a cutting board from Walmart) as a cover for a hole, backing plates for hardware, etc. You can get as fancy or as simple as you want. Since it is pretty obvious you live a less complicated life than those of us still stuck in the working world (I have too many tools but I am younger and still foolish) you can get a buddy to round and route the corners for you to make it pretty!! I might recommend checking in with other Moore 24 owners. They've all come across this issue updating their boats.

Webb said...

I have ordered two acrylic circles from Amazon, as well as the triple cables you mentioned, from Amazon. They are cheap and will I think do the job.

Anonymous said...

Golly! Boats need maintenance. Who knew?

Kelvin D. Meeks said...

Webb,
As always I relish the delicious words of your postings.

A kindred vibration occurred when I read this fragment: "most inconvenient place I have ever lived in which to get work done on a boat I have not been able to have it fixed."

On a Friday, a few weeks ago, I recently encountered an unexpected debacle when trying to get some work done by a boatyard - in preparation for a mandatory new survey (by my insurance company).

The boatyard's new policies caught me totally by surprise:

me: "I need some engine work - and some electrical work done on the 30 amp wiring"
Mgr: "We don't do that anymore. You'll have to find your own contractors - and manage them"

Me: "..."

Me: "can you give me an estimate of when I can have my boat hauled out - so I can arrange/schedule contractors?"
Mgr: "It won't be this month, and next month may not be possible either. We'll get back to you on Monday"



Me:
Contractors: