Thursday, April 14, 2022

Hilton Head Island; lovely; learned; two repeated poems

 


I have retired to read in bed MOLL FLANDERS and perhaps more of Ovid’s THE METAMORPHOSES after watching a pretty good Liam Neeson movie, WALKING AMONG THE TOMBSTONES. I came to MOLL FLANDERS after a diary entry in THE ASSASSIN’S CLOAK by Virginia Woolf.  I have never read it before and don’t know how far I will continue.  So far, so good.

Lovely here just now as it often is.  As you can see Skull Creek is glassy and reflecting pastel post sunset shades.

I was tired today.  Perhaps due to the COVID booster shot yesterday.  Not ill, just tired.  But then I am elderly.

I biked down to GANNET this morning and quickly learned that although I can lift the new assembled outboard which weighs 44 pounds, I cannot control that weight while kneeling and reaching out over the stern, so I will have to assemble and disassemble the motor with each use.  This is not difficult, though a bit more difficult than it was with the Torqeedo.  I could leave the motor permanently mounted on the stern, but this is aesthetically unacceptable.

My second wandering battery appeared at the front door today after its sojourn in New England.



In the past few days I have come across two poems which I have included here before.  They are worth reading again..

W.H. Auden’s  ‘Musse des Beaux Arts’:


Here is an enlargement of Pieter Brueghel’s painting, The Fall of Icarus’ on which it is based.



William Carlos Williams’ poem is also good, but not as good as Auden’s.

And from Fernando Pessoa, ‘Sebastian, King of Portugal’.


 







No comments: