Sunday, April 24, 2022

Hilton Head Island: batteried; prepared; good news; Feynman’s Ode to the Wonder of Life

Carol has flown back to Chicago this morning after a week on Hilton Head in part to celebrate her birthday.  We had a fine week, even one day joining the hoards on the eleven mile long beach on the other side of the island.  A nice place to visit, but I much prefer the serenity and beauty of Skull Creek.

Thursday I took advantage of Carol having a rental car to have her drive me and the two new Lifeline batteries to the marina parking lot where I transferred them to dock carts.  I pushed one to the marina gate.  Carol the other.  We had timed this for high tide so the ramp down to the dock was least steep and I carefully rolled the carts down without losing control and ending ignominiously in the water.  From there it was simple to push on to GANNET where I got the batteries on board and switched them for the old ones.  All wires appear to be connected properly and everything I can test is working.  I haven’t been down at night to test the masthead, steaming, and deck running lights.

I have also hauled various other supplies down to GANNET, including a pillow.  Tomorrow I’ll go down and fit the new outboard on the stern and fill water containers.

If the wind forecast holds I’ll leave the slip Tuesday for a boat yard at St. Mary’s a hundred miles south, where I will haul and antifoul.  The wind is supposed to be from the south on Tuesday.  I will not push hard against it, but want to position us for a forecast shift to the north around midnight.  



I have been told that the detestable ferry boat will be towed away within the next two weeks to be stripped, cleaned, and taken out and sunk as an artificial reef.  Upon my return from St. Mary’s I will be eagerly looking into the distance as I come up Skull Creek and hoping to see its absence.



From Mark comes a clever and visually arresting video, Feynman’s Ode to the Wonder of Life, accompanied by Bach.  I enjoyed it.  Perhaps you will too.  I thank him.

https://vimeo.com/700869688


No comments: