Saturday, May 15, 2021

Hilton Head Island: resolved, for now

 


Above is a screen shot of what I got last night when I tried to visit this site on my iPad Pro and my iPhone.  It appeared in Safari, Chrome and Edge browsers.  It did not appear on my MacBook, and emails and comments report that it did not appear on Windows.

It does not appear on any of my devices this morning.

I do not know why it appeared or why it disappeared.  Possibly my and others reporting the error helped.  But not knowing is troubling.  It makes me acutely aware that I am writing on sand at low tide.

I use Apple’s iWeb to create the main site.  This is old and clunky and uploads slowly and has not been supported by Apple for years.  During the THE HAWKE OF TUONELA circumnavigation, my fifth, I decided to start using WordPress for the journal.  After about two years my account was hacked and I was unable to access it.  There was no support from WordPress, so I turned to Blogger.

I had kept copies of all the WordPress posts on my laptop and so was able to restore the two lost years.  It was a very time consuming and laborious process.  I keep copies of the Blogger entries on my iPad Pro and laptop.  I am not sure I have them all, but restoring them on another platform would be Herculean.

I am a writer.  While I still write some for publication, what I write mostly now is this journal.  One day it will stop.  Perhaps with my death or senility.  Perhaps with a hack or malware or whatever happened last night.  I will give this some thought.

If you find this site inaccessible I suggest you go to the journal page on the main site and see if there is any new information there.

http://inthepresentsea.com/the_actual_site/journal/journal.html

I thank those of you who emailed or made comments.

Now I have a plane to catch.



4 comments:

Jim Norman said...

This security glitch apparently affected all Blogger sites last night, I saw this on a couple others I follow as well. One of them posted an explanation from one of his readers. He posted the original German language version and a short summation - “It looks like Google is labeling your site as malicious based on Cookies placed there by Google."

Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know. But it doesn’t look like Blogger was canceling you. Have a good flight.

Anonymous said...

No issues on my iPhone. Sail on Webb. Don’t let the “Man” steal your voice.😎

Anonymous said...

I wish to help out if possible. I will send an email and we can begin a discussion. This blog must continue to be available.

Unknown said...

Webb,

I thought you might be interested in an update on Egregious. She ia now name Emma and is alive and well with her third owner located in Maple Bay BC. I have some recent photos of her so if you would like me to send them along with some other info please email me at fitzee@telus.net. Cheers.

Gary Fitzgibbon