Friday, May 21, 2021

Evanston: more early disturbances; coming apart; love

 


We have already seen in the past few weeks the earliest formation of a tropical disturbance in the eastern Pacific Ocean, a rare Indian Ocean cyclone hitting the west coast of India, and now as you can see above two early disturbances in the Atlantic.  Tropical storms—hurricanes, cyclones, typhoons are the same except in name—are heat machines and the ocean is already too warm.

I, of course, have a deep personal interest in this, having found a place on land I really like that is in the hurricane zone.  I will be in Hilton Head for only part of this hurricane season.  If Carol is there and a storm is approaching, we will evacuate.  If I am there alone, I won’t.  I am among the world’s most experienced at living without outside support and if our building continues to stand and I am uninjured I will be prepared to survive self-sustained for at least two months.  Naturally I hope this doesn’t happen.  I am aware of the possible irony of our condo being destroyed just after it has become habitable after all of the time, expense and stress, mostly Carol’s, of making it so, but that is a known risk and if it were to happen, I will not wring my hands and cry out, “Why me?”


The Evanston condo is coming apart and it will not ever come together again until the new owners move in.  We took the living room carpet to be cleaned and now there is a sheet covering the mat.  This afternoon we will remove some pictures from the walls to be taken to Hilton Head, along with glasses, cutlery, clothes, and I know not what else.  The next five weeks are going to be busy and difficult.  Then, hopefully, our lives will be simpler.


I was at the main site yesterday seeking on the lists page one of the quotes I have used in the front of my books and found a list I had forgotten headed ‘I love’.  I did remember that I have posted it here before and through the Blogger search found that I did so in Durban, South Africa, more than four years ago.

https://self-portraitinthepresentseajournal.blogspot.com/2017/01/durban-i-love.html

I stand by that.  Perhaps it is worth reading again.