Friday, March 26, 2021

Hilton Head Island: chopped 3.0; cushioned; provisioned; returnees; remembered


I am presently sitting on our bed with my left leg elevated and iced.  It was operated on yesterday for the third time to remove a tenacious squamous cell cancer.  I hope this will be the last.


Also yesterday I received an email that GANNET’s new v-berth cushions and pipe berth covers have been completed and are inside the boat.  However it will be a few days before I can get down there, and installing the pipe berth covers requires contortions I may not be able to perform for a while longer.  Nevertheless I am pleased they have been made.  I trust I will continue to be pleased when I see them.


Two days ago I placed an order for thirty-eight freeze dry meals in anticipation of sailing around Bermuda.  I have about twenty meals on GANNET as well as four or five Omeals which are self-heating.  I have tested one of the Omeals, a pasta dinner which does have a different texture and taste than freeze dried food.  I liked it and may buy more.

As mentioned here before my former source of freeze dry meals, Campmor, no longer has the selection it once had.  I have ordered from Amazon, but searching there is time consuming.  Googling I found LDP Camping Foods which carries the three major US brands, Mountain House, Backpacker’s Pantry and AlpineAire, so I ordered from them.  AlpineAire has several new to me dinners which I will test.  The food should be here next week.  Whether I make the sail this spring will depend on how quickly my leg heals.

https://www.ldpcampingfoods.com/index.htm


In the past few weeks rowers and birds have returned to Skull Creek.

There is a rowing club a mile or so down the creek from us and recently I have seen two singles, the four person crew in the photo above, and an eight.

Of birds, there are considerably more around than during the winter.  More pelicans, egrets, great blue herons, and a beautiful bright red male Summer Tanager who sometimes frequents the live oak just off our deck.  A line of more than fifty cormorants flew up Skull Creek single file one morning.

I am not the only one who has noticed the increasing number of birds.  A hawk glided silently past at tree top level.


I am pleased to report that for the past two afternoons I have managed to return the jug of iced tea to the refrigerator, proving perhaps that I am still capable of learning and correcting my mistakes.  At least sometimes.


3 comments:

Andy said...

Putting the jug of tea back in the wrong place is not a sign of senility. It can happen at any age. In my 20's, I came home from work one night to find the cereal box in the refrigerator. When I went to return it to the cabinet, I found the milk carton in its place. It's just distraction because you are thinking about more important things like sailing.

Glenn Shinn said...

I noticed Gannet's black mast in the photo of the 4 person rowing team. I also noticed your neighbor up the docks wind generator mounted on the mast above the radar! How in the world would you ever be able to tack a headsail in any breeze without tearing the whole thing off !



Webb said...

You are observant, Glenn. That is indeed GANNET’s mast. She has the only black one on A Dock. I just looked and the radar and wind generator are mounted on the mizzen mast of a Shannon 50 ketch, so no headsail coming across when tacking.