Monday, January 20, 2020

Evanston: THE JOKER; an update; worthless lives




Carol and I watched THE JOKER Friday evening.  The movie exceeded my expectations.  It was darker and deeper.  I have written that I thought Leonardo DiCaprio gave an exceptional performance in ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD.  Joaquin Phoenix is even better in the strange and demanding title role in THE JOKER.



I have added the final passage logs of GANNET’s circumnavigation to the logs page of the main site.




Unable to avoid noticing the breathless reporting of certain actions recently taken by young members of the British royal family has not changed my mind about the lack of intelligence of our species.   I have no respect for or interest in ‘the nobility’ which simply means that you had an ancestor who was a brigand or a sycophant, and probably both, who was in position when the music stopped.  Were I British I would want to abolish the royal family, even if they are a tourist attraction.  

This caused me to consider jobs that are completely fatuous.  Being a reporter covering the royal family is certainly one.  How could you come to the end of your life and look in the mirror and not know that it had all been wasted?  Another would be emoji designer.  I googled that and found that such a person is likely to make $100,000+ annually.  Money isn’t everything.  

In that search I also came across “5 Careers For The Emoji-obsessed.  Because words are so yesterday.”

Sometimes I miss being in mid-ocean.



The above is another old image I came across, this of my only magazine cover.  The photo was taken in Boston Harbor a few months before Carol and I sailed away in 2001.  Some of you will recognize Boston Light.  The editor’s first choice of photos was one of THE HAWKE OF TUONELA sailing in front of the Boston skyline, but it was decided that a month after 9-11 a photo of a city skyline was not appropriate.  Carol and I were in the marina at Vilamoura, Portugal on 9-11 and saw the World Trade Centers collapse on a feed from CNN.

I have been called many things over the decades, but I believe that cover is the only time I have been called mystical.