Friday, January 3, 2020

Evanston: impossible; perfection; frozen fools

If you live in the Unites States you will probably have seen ads for the Burger King Impossible Whopper.  I was curious, so yesterday while Carol and I were out running errands we stopped at a Burger King and I ordered one.  I can report that it looks like beef and it tastes like beef.  However, as you can see the Impossible Whopper has little nutritional advantage over a regular Whooper.  Neither is good for you.





IMPOSSIBLE WHOPPER VS. REGULAR WHOPPER NUTRITION FACTS

Impossible WhopperRegular Whopper
630 calories660 calories
34 g fat (11 g saturated fat)40 g fat (12 g saturated fat)
0 g trans fat1.5 g trans fat
10 mg cholesterol90 mg cholesterol
1080 mg sodium980 mg sodium
58 g carbohydrates49 g carbohydrates
4 g fiber1 g fiber
12 g sugar11 g sugar
25 g protein28 g protein


It should be noted that I seldom go to fast food establishments and don’t know what a regular Whopper tastes like.
One possible virtue to the Impossible Whopper is in savings of water and land needed to raise beef.  It is reported that 1,799 gallons of water are needed to produce one pound of beef.
630 calories is an enormous amount for me to consume.   My normal lunch in Evanston is yoghurt to which I add trail mix.  Less than 200 calories total.  I will not be returning to Burger King soon.
Despite, or maybe because, of the Impossible Whopper, when I worked out later that afternoon, I went to 90 push-ups which would be enough to do my age though November 10, 2032.

Even for football fans there are far, far too many made for TV college football bowl games.  I believe the count this year is 40.  Teams don’t even need a winning record to be in a bowl.  Several have gone in with 6 wins and 6 losses.  Most of these are games that only alumnae of the participating schools and the local chambers of commerce care about.  Perhaps the most ludicrously named is the Gasparilla Bowl played in Tampa Bay, Florida.  What in hell is gasparilla? I wondered.  So I googled and learned from Wikipedia that:
“The game was renamed the Gasparilla Bowl in 2017 as a nod to the legend of José Gaspar, a mythical pirate who supposedly operated in the Tampa Bay area and who is the inspiration for Tampa's Gasparilla Pirate Festival.”
A mythical pirate?  Come on.
In any event, I have not watched many of the games, preferring to watch the football that we Americans call soccer.  Yesterday I watched Liverpool extend their unbeaten run in the English Premier League to a full year.  They are in first place in the league standings and arguably not just the best club in England, but the world, having won the most recent Champion’s League, the top club competition in Europe, and the FIFA Club World Cup.  They are a joy to watch and if not perfect, close enough.

Additional proof that we are not an intelligent species is not needed, but more is continually offered.
On January 1 recreational marijuana become legal in Illinois.  Lines formed at outlets before dawn.  I don’t know what time the doors opened, but the evening news carried onsite interviews with people who had been standing in line for up to six hours.  The temperature was below freezing.  The people being interviewed appeared happy.  Case closed.