Monday, July 8, 2019

San Diego: around the marina



        Another quiet evening in Quivira Basin.
        I have come below at 8 PM after sitting on deck listening to music and sea lions, watching birds, and sipping tequila.
        A pelican gilded past not far off GANNET’s bow reminding me of an evening a half century ago when, while living on board my 26’ Excalibur on the other side of this basin still in the ‘longing’ part of my life, I rowed around the bait barge and a pelican flew by almost within reach.  I heard the sound of his feathers touching the air.
        According to my Activity app I walked 4.3 miles today and I didn’t leave the marina.
        It was laundry day and I did walk from GANNET to the shore buildings many times.  I also went ashore to check for packages and to shower.  Living on a boat is obviously a naturally active and healthy life.
        Along the way I noticed several boats of interest, including the above.
        There are two of these, side by side.  ‘Ships In a Bottle’ they are called.  They run short day and evening trips for tourists.  They are even more than most sailboats powerboats with masts.  The benches can seat three adults on each side.  When so laden they ride very bow down.
    


        This boat was in this slip when I left five years ago.  I never saw her used then.  It does not appear she has ever been sailed since.  The deck house is wood.  You may be able to see that the seams are opening.  Slip rent would run at least $5,000 a year.  So $25,000 in five years for what?  A friend recently suggested that 90%-93% of boats in marinas are never used.  I concur.
  

        I also pass what might be the world’s narrowest catamaran.
        I thought catamarans gained stability by beam.  
        This one has the virtue of fitting in a normal slip, but I don’t think I would want to sail her.

         
       This is a good boat that is being neglected.  Look at the bird droppings on hatch and mainsail cover.
       I think she is a Contessa 26.  Not exactly my kind of boat, but one in which I would cross oceans.  She appears to have been prepared to do so, with a self-steering vane on the stern, the same Anchorman windless I had on THE HAWKE OF TUONELA, and other equipment.   I have seen no one on her and do not know her story.


        Here is the behemoth next to GANNET.  
       She has the Swan cove stripe, but does not look like any Swan I know of.
       For non-sailors Swan is the name of a famous brand of sailboats built in Finland.
       Pacing her off, I estimate she is 85’-90’/25-27 meters.
       Here if you look closely Is GANNET beside her.