Sunday, July 26, 2026

Hilton Head Island: a new sail cover; Warwick Tompkins, Jr.

 

Above is my new mainsail cover.  Doug, whose boat is next to GANNET on the dock, says he prefers the old one.  So do I, but this one does have the advantage of cost.  $19 from that great sailmaker, Amazon.

You have no doubt already correctly concluded that the old mainsail cover was showing its age and I took it to what is as far as I can tell the nearest canvas shop which is on St. Helena Island on the other side of Port Royal Sound.  There used to be a canvas shop on Hilton Head, but it has closed.  A remaining one does repairs, but would not make a new cover from scratch.  The straight line distance to the shop on St. Helena is about ten miles.  However much of that is across water and Carol had to drive 55 miles and more than an hour to reach it.  I left the old cover as a pattern.  The new one will not be delivered for six or eight weeks, so the tarp will keep the sun off the main until then.


I thank William for a link to a video about Warwick Tompkins, Jr., one of the world’s most experienced sailors.  He planned his birth better than I and was born into a sailing family.  He rounded Cape Horn on his father’s boat at age four, a bit younger than I, who at age four had never even seen the ocean much less been on a sailboat.

I met Warwick Tompkins, Jr,. generally known as the Commodore, in New Zealand’s Bay of Islands.  He invited me on board FLASHGIRL and was friendly and courteous even though as you will learn if you watch the video by his definition I am not a gentleman.  So it goes.  I enjoyed the video and highly recommend it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wTnYwMTahoY&t=1s&pp=2AEBkAIB&ra=m

No comments: